Publix - Great first job | Glassdoor

"Great first job"

Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Duluth, GA
Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Duluth, GA

I worked at Publix part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started at Publix when I was 15 and worked there until I was almost 19. I started at one store, transferred to another my freshman year of college, and transferred to a third store when I came home for the summer. Although I absolutely could not wait to leave Publix, it definitely was a good first job. I guess I was so ready to leave because I had been doing the same thing for over 3 years. My favorite part of the job was the people that I worked with. Not everyone, but most of the people I worked with at my 3 stores made my work days worth while. For the most part, the managers are pretty cool, it just all depends on the location of your store honestly. They do offer great benefits and great promotional opportunities. My overall experience with Publix was pleasant.

Cons

Get used to the color green. Also, get used to rude customers. This job really teaches you how to hold your tongue. My main issue with Publix is that although the "outstanding customer service" is something everyone would want to be given, some customers take the provided services much to their advantage. It gets out of hand. I really believe that although the customer service motives of Publix are good, they make customers feel entitled and it what makes some people become so nasty. It's a grocery store for goodness sake. Also, in the over 3 years I worked there I did get a raise every evaluation but the highest raise I made was $.50.

Advice to Management

Relax, it's just a grocery store. Also, we should get higher raises for some of the crap we have to deal with.

Other Employee Reviews for Publix

"(Grocery Clerk) Depends on the store"

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Cooper City, FL
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Cooper City, FL

I have been working at Publix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was decent
    Customer oriented workplace
    Got a lot of hours
    Most of management was good
    Enjoyed assisting customers

Cons

If a manager holds a personal vendetta against you then your hours will get severely cut. Store managers and assistant store managers can get away with literally sitting in their office watching TV all day if they are like that. Also depending on where you work the store will either be great or dismal.

Advice to Management

Check on your store managers.

2. "Asst Deli Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Deli Manager in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Publix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus are great and benefits are better than most other supermarkets.
    Free Company Stock!
    Lots of room for advancement

Cons

Long hours 50+ per week. Leaves very little time for social life.
    Can be very stressful with high workload.