Puget Sound Naval Shipyard - Stable, but not for the ambitious | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Puget Sound Naval Shipyard

"Stable, but not for the ambitious"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bremerton, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bremerton, WA

Pros

Stability, great benefits, easy to maintain a good work/life balance, work schedule is usually negotiable, broad range of career paths

Cons

Easy to reach substantial plateaus in your career, culture is command and control, not a lot of transparency in promotions, innovation is not valued, lots of bureaucracy

Advice to Management

a unified command vision and strategy would help align the constituent parts of the organization, more openness, and less hierarchy

Other Employee Reviews for Puget Sound Naval Shipyard

"Naval Shipyard, good for new engineers"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bremerton, WA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bremerton, WA

Pros

The job security is great! Pay advancements are good within the first few years of employment and the benni's are ok as well.

Cons

The information given to you upon interview and before working is poor. I was told I would be working in planning and after I started working and took the bonus that I had no chance of working in planning. I feel lied to. The communication was also terrible. they gave you all the infomation at the interview and got you in the door, but once you were in the door they failed miserably. I felt like I was fed to the wolves. No desk, no computer and to be frank work that can be done by technicians.

Advice to Management

Be a little more open to the new employees and don't treat them like they are just another number to add to the books.

"Puget Sound Naval Shipyard pros & cons."

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Bremerton, WA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Bremerton, WA

Pros

PSNS, as with other government jobs, is fantastic for worker support and benefits. I haven't had an issue with taking time off. Also, the health & retirement benefits are more than competitive with industry. The work environment is friendly and most co-workers have a genuine desire to help each other out.

Cons

The pay structure is highly rigid at PSNS. It follows the government General Schedule (GS) system which is non-performance based. The system also limits pay. I know senior workers who are capped and have only received cost of living adjustments for the last 10 years! The career advancement opportunities vary greatly depending on where you work. Also, there is very low turnover which reduces career advancement opportunities for younger workers.

Advice to Management

I'm satisfied with my senior management.