Purdue University - Grad student at Purdue | Glassdoor

"Grad student at Purdue"

Current Employee - Graduate Student
Current Employee - Graduate Student

I have been working at Purdue University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Purdue is a great place to work. There is world-class interdisciplinary research and a great collaborative environment, and everyone is very friendly. Cost of living is low and the town is safe and family-friendly.

Cons

The parking situation is less than ideal. Also not a whole lot to do in town, but Chicago and Indy are near-by for weekend getaways.

Other Employee Reviews for Purdue University

"Great Work Experience, but (Very) Low Pay."

Current Employee - Research Administrator
    Current Employee - Research Administrator

Pros

Purdue is a great place to work if you enjoy a relaxed atmosphere, friendly work environment, great work/life balance and, for the most part, great benefits. You also get the benefits of living in a college town -- access to large libraries, world renowned faculty, lively student body, and university athletics.

Cons

The business service personnel at Purdue are incredibly underpaid for the amount of responsibility put on our shoulders -- we are expected to please supervisors, faculty, tax payers, and state and federal government officials. And what the faculty wants is not always what the tax payers want, etc. etc.

Those seeking to work with a young/driven workforce should apply elsewhere. Purdue is place where many older workers go to retire or work while their children are attending Purdue (for the tuition break). This can be hard on the younger employees (ages 22-30) who have the deal with the I-don't-care-now-leave-me-alone attitude of the older business service staff employees. I imagine it's also tough on the faculty who have to deal with these same people.

Advice to Management

Our senior leaders (non-academic side) are very old school and have been slow to react to the changing work environment. If they expect to attract and/or keep top talent (or talent at all!) they should reevaluate: pay, flex-scheduling options, promotion opportunities, and job structure.

I also think that instead of promoting how we're similar to big business because or our billion-dollar endowment we should, instead, position ourselves as WAY different than big business. We should focus on our strengths: work/life balance, support environment and a thoughtful/intelligent staff.

Along with a pay increase, I think our senior staff would be wise to keep these things in mind when trying to recruit new staff.

2. "Life in lafayette"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor

Pros

You have the ability to continually learn and research in areas that you are interested in. Ability to be a protected entrepreneur.

Cons

Teaching loads are high in certain colleges. This provides a challenge for those that want to conduct research as you have limited time.

Advice to Management

Examine the teaching loads of those that conduct research. Examine more closely the amount of grants submitted in terms of teaching load. If you want better proposals, there should be some buyout time allowed.