PwC - You'll Learn A Lot | Glassdoor

"You'll Learn A Lot"

Former Intern - FSA Intern in Boston, MA
Former Intern - FSA Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at PwC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great exposure to financial services. There's isn't a whole lot of places where you'll be exposed to as many different industries as PwC.
Great team based setting where you'll be mentored by very smart people.
Open door policies where interns can just pop into a manager or director's office for a chat.
Can't complaint about the paid.

Cons

Long hours, but then again everyone should've known when they signed up for a Big Four firm.

Advice to Management

Management are doing fine, keep up the good work.

Other Employee Reviews for PwC

1. "auditor"

I worked at PwC full-time

Pros

They had some good benefits and it was not too difficult to get time off during non-busy periods.

Cons

The atmosphere was so biased. You knew who the managers like and who were were going to move and who weren't. Doing well depends on who your manager is.

"Only join if you are sure you want to pursue a long-term career in accounting"

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PwC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Learn a lot about accounting
    -Driven, career-minded people
    -Brand/reputation & big name clients
    -Upward mobility - the way is paved for you to be making a very good salary in ten years

Cons

I want to point out that I joined PwC not sure if I wanted to stay in accounting or not, so if you (whoever is reading) is set on accounting, please disregard the following:

-Business knowledge/skills you obtain are not as transferable to other jobs as they seem
    -Experience is not highly respected outside of accounting (its a brand name, that's it)
    -Management is jaded - most have no concept of a normal work environment and do little to comprehend it. Employees there actually look down upon their clients who work 8-5pm - if you had to re-read that because it didn't make sense, I am envious of you, I'm almost a year our and I still have that outlook on life (I don't want it).
    -Long hours with no over-time pay and weak bonuses - it is true that other professions work as many or even more hours (IB, PE, & MC) but look at any strategy/decision-making related job description and you will see required experience in one of those three professions - my point being at least the few years of 70hr weeks of IB, PE & MC mean something to the rest of the world
    -"Prior year" mentality + understaffed departments = lack of critical thinking and lots of it (the minions rise and it never gets better) - you will learn how to do your job within a box
    -Partners are constantly bringing in more business while under recruiting - the idea that they sign off on revenue forecasts or 'consult' on supply chain management is comical

Overall, (with the caveat above) it's a very demanding occupation that does not prepare you as well for the outside world as everyone believes. If you want an exciting career, at least try to find something else, then settle if you have to.

Advice to Management

The job market has changed, either change your business model (which currently is cheap labor, ironically simple/archaic for a firm of 'business professionals' - it's a good thing you don't have to disclose the same level of detail about your business operations that you make your clients) or don't feel sorry for yourself when people leave.