QinetiQ North America - So Much Opportunity But They Must Better Utilize Our Employee's Time and Talents | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for QinetiQ North America

"So Much Opportunity But They Must Better Utilize Our Employee's Time and Talents"

Former Contractor - Consultant (Former) in Waltham, MA
Former Contractor - Consultant (Former) in Waltham, MA

I worked at QinetiQ North America as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Dedicated employee's and consultants who truly are willing to dedicate their time to see their efforts contribute in a positive manner. It's interesting that the contractor's and consultants I spoke with are willing to work extra hours not so much to make additional income, but to assist the team in assuring quality products are delivered to the customer. I recall speaking to a consultant some time ago who told me they are more interested in being a valued contributor and producing quality work that if even if they were to leave, would have long positive benefits to this client.

Cons

I saw too much time spent on reworking efforts and an inability to trust each other. I wondered why if the folks like each other so much why they do not communicate and act in a coherent manner that benefits their projects. There is a need that all members of a project to get together and have project meetings once a week, and this does work. There is a need for managers to utilize MS Project and set short and long terms goals that should be shared with the team. Each person should be able to see how their contributions affect the delivery of a product. There is too much "just in time reactive" direction given by managers and a desire by their subordinate to get better direction. I saw key members who if they were aware of the program goals, and had input into the planning effort, could benefit the program. Each member needs to understand they play a critical and unique role in seeing a product to delivery. When I was there I saw a willingness to cooperate, but management needs to take a leadership role in bringing their teams together and keeping the members informed.

Advice to Management

Unite your teams. Allocate upfront time as it will have long term benefits and improved productivity. It would improve productivity. You have both loyal employees and consultant who know they have unique roles and skills that benefit your company. They do have an interest in doing their part to see your company succeed. Every member of the team whether an assembler, technician, programmer, engineer, manager, consultant or technical specialist play a vital and equal role in seeing your company succeed.
Listen to those who seem frustrated and know that is a sign they want to do more.

Other Employee Reviews for QinetiQ North America

"Unable to capitalize on terrific technology portfolio"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at QinetiQ North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enviable diversity of talent across many disciplines of science, engineering and business development; great place to work for problem solvers and quick learners; good overall compensation with excellent benefits.

Cons

Management struggling to find coherent strategy to transition contract R&D into products; frequent re-organization with lack of market vision and business direction.

"An example of how not to manage"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at QinetiQ North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It makes you appreciate that anywhere else is better.

Cons

Constant reshuffling of management. Our 6th Program Manager started at the 32 month mark of a 3 year program. The workforce turnover rate stayed at 50% per year for the duration of the program. Management’s treatment of staff was deplorable – routinely yelling and screaming in an open office environment, and bragging about the salary differential between management and the workforce. Salary was well below market rate. Reimbursements for travel expenses were not based on eligibility, but rather seniority and profit margin. The management mentality since “benefits were available after normal business hours, that you should work extended hours because it’s fair” was the mantra – and a 50 to 60 hour work week was common. As a result of bad management the program failed and eventually closed. Management of course blamed the workforce resulting in a massive layoff.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees, for a change, and look at turnover as a silent alarm that something is wrong.