QinetiQ North America - Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes? | Glassdoor

"Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes?"

Current Employee - Veteran Software Developer/Architect in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Veteran Software Developer/Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at QinetiQ North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Solid personal leave (up to 5 weeks for those with 10+ years experience) and benefits (still have 401(k) match.)
- Mid-level management does seem to care about the welfare of those they supervise.
- Like most larger companies, your experience depends greatly upon your customer/project. I've had some very good customers (Federal Civilian), so I've had some great work experiences. I've been here over 10 years.
- Some decent training opportunities if you keep your eye out for them and it works out well with your customer. You can get reimbursed for non-degree programs and conferences/symposiums.
- Given the tight constraints of the past year (Fed Gov shutdown, sequester, etc.), the company was pretty reasonable to employees.

Cons

- Uncertainty of what will happen to benefits with the upcoming acquisition by the The SI Group of the Services Group. Could be a reduction of two weeks of vacation time for those with 10-15 years of experience. Other benefits TBD. That will drive those with marketable skills out the door. But it may not matter to SI's business model.
- Like just about any Federal Government Contractor, raises are minimal once you are an employee. Job hopping for the right position is what advances your salary in this field.
- There was a compensation freeze during the past year, but that is supposed to be lifted.
- HR and other centralized management functions haven't been the most efficient. The annual review system isn't the greatest. Recruiting is weak.
- For a company of it's size, it's development of new technical solutions is dis-jointed and not the most innovative (Services Group.)

Advice to Management

Good luck. There will likely be a lot of consolidation and you'll be fighting for your jobs or dealing with unrealistic constraints.

Other Employee Reviews for QinetiQ North America

1. "They mean well and try hard"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at QinetiQ North America full-time

Pros

Great people, I will miss working with them

Cons

They took away the coffee.

Advice to Management

Good luck with the new management!

2. "Great concept, poorly executed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at QinetiQ North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, good benefits package. Reston facility is very modern and easily accessible. Work can be challenging in a good way. There are definitely good people working there.

Cons

A power struggle at the highest levels of executive management turned a potentially "great" company to work for into "below average." Communication from upper management down to staff was non-existent, and rather insulting when they would fill a meeting with fake corporate messaging instead of advising of the current state of affairs -- especially when we would hear the facts from other people outside our department.

Advice to Management

Consider a better communications plan for employees. Maturity at the executive level will drive this company way further. Train executive and senior management on a single culture that overtakes the cultures from all the acquired companies.