Qualcomm - A great place for an engineering internship | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Qualcomm

"A great place for an engineering internship"

Former Employee - Interim Engineering Intern in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Interim Engineering Intern in San Diego, CA

Pros

The people are great. I loved striking up conversations with just about anybody. You're surrounded by incredibly intelligent individuals, and you can learn a lot from normal conversation. I had a relatively challenging project and I was able to see the final product before I left.

Also, San Diego is amazing, I can't think of a better place to live.

Cons

Sometimes people in other departments didn't do their job and it help up my project. There is some bureaucracy, thought significantly less than other companies I have interned with.

Honestly, the worst part about the whole thing is having to leave.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on developing new technologies and push QCT products as aggressively as possible for the 4G era. There are some projects I'm not so sold on (Zeebo), and others that I think are great but are currently too overpriced (FLO).

Other Employee Reviews for Qualcomm

1. "Engineers heaven"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Irwin's legacy is a strong engineering culture. This for the most part thrives. I like the underdog mentality that was developed through the history of CDMA

Cons

Can get a bit insular and cocky at times within the company. We invented CDMA, but in other areas the company still needs to still needs to work on improving efficiency.

Sometimes people assume that every new business is going to be as successful as the CDMA licensing business, but I think people have to remember that things didn't just happen easily for Irwin and team. They had to really struggle to prove the efficiency of the technology, and even then there were some tough times for the company.

Advice to Management

Be a little more humble at times, there are many areas that Qualcomm could improve from a technology side. Be more nimble, the company is getting to comfy and cozy with all the licensing revenue, people assume in SD that it grows on trees. Reward the outsiders who take big risks technologically.

Continue the pattern of treating engineers well, that is a great legacy for other companies to follow.

"Great benefits, but limited career growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Excellent benefits, onsite gyms, superb reputation within the San Diego community, great for your resume.

Cons

Little challenge with work; most employees get only a slice of the pie. Although there is an internal opportunity system there is little opportunity for growth unless you're connected. The organization has become too large, and there are quiet layoffs on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees and be honest. Many managers don't submit written reviews on their employees. Take the time and be fair to your employees for their development.