QuintilesIMS - Frustrating at times, but a notable improvement vs. 2 years ago. Employees have to be in it for the long haul. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for QuintilesIMS

"Frustrating at times, but a notable improvement vs. 2 years ago. Employees have to be in it for the long haul."

Current Employee - Technical Architect in Collegeville, PA
Current Employee - Technical Architect in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at QuintilesIMS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

+ Work / Life balance in most non-consulting positions
+ Death-march projects are rare to non-existent. Putting your career on cruise-control is possible while still inching up the compensation ladder.
+ Benefits
+ In all but one role I've been in, the immediate co-workers and managers watch your back

Cons

- Career advancement is slow paced; much like the environment.
- Autonomy has to be fiercely fought for and defended at every turn.
- Technologist culture is still stuck back in the 80's, but at least now pays lip service to modernity.
- Sr. Management still has no good way to accurately value knowledge workers. In-sourcing to India is an overall improvement vs outsourcing, but still can't compare to real, co-located development teams in the US and EMEA where the majority of development is done.
- Many of the highest value employees have found that the only way to get proper compensation is to leave and come back, or leave and become a consultant; many just simply leave.

Advice to Management

There is still an inconsistency between the stated strategies of product leadership and customer centricity and the actual budgets. There's a difference between being cost conscious and being penny-wise, pound-poor. We employees need to hear that while top-line driven EBITDA growth is the motive, and will drive the terminal value when the company is sold / re-IPO'ed, it's not the goal. Revenue growth isn't treated like a consequence of the right strategy and action.
The "hub and spoke" model is still resulting in functional silos and is frankly not working. I strongly believe that all portfolio and infrastructure projects can be done in a local, federated fashion by co-located teams and that technology principles and standards can drive consistency and reuse internationally. If we are a technology company, and our success is measured by the amount of functionality within working software that we deliver, then we need to abandon the silo-ed approach and hire more, real software developers who are generalists and polyglots.

Other Employee Reviews for QuintilesIMS

"Wonderful company, genuine people, quality work"

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Trials Assistant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Trials Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at QuintilesIMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic company, growing fast. Friendly colleagues

Cons

Can go on promotion or hiring freezes

2. "Good place to work if you stay open to opportunity"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Durham, NC

I worked at QuintilesIMS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Size of company means a wide variety of clients and therapeutic areas; keeps study management interesting. Good comraderie with colleagues.

Cons

Internal systems did not keep up with growth of company - lots of temporary fixes going on. Bureaucracy can sometimes get in the way.

Advice to Management

Listen more to staff about operations.