R.R. Donnelley - Learning Experience | Glassdoor

"Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, everyone genuinely cares about each other and helps out.
Great place to learn. Wide variety of work.

Cons

I'm not being paid what I think I should be, and we stopped getting merit increases two years ago. I can't say everyone isn't paid well. Just from personal experience. Be sure to start high, salary wise, when coming into the company. Their benefits are getting worse next year too (2013), from what I've heard, but I don't have their insurance.

Other Employee Reviews for R.R. Donnelley

"Benefits and pay NOT competitive"

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many people seem to care about their work and their customers. Lots of long-term expertise and management that's risen up through the ranks, taking the open-door policy seriously and always ready to improve. Trying to diversify their core business to remain competitive as the global business environment shifts away from paper and printing.

Cons

Bluntly, benefits and pay are not competitive because their core business has a different basis than the industry they're trying to move into; resistance to improving salaries and benefits will result in less-qualified employees and an inability to compete with quality products and service offerings. It's hard to love what you do but to feel like your family is falling behind in real-dollar terms if you keep doing it.

Advice to Management

Review the norm in software-industry benefits and salaries and move your technology business units (and maybe even the whole company) towards that model. Huge tech companies have great salaries and benefits and still pay solid dividends... how do they do it?

"I don't understand how this company can operate in the market place"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people other than management are great. The best if the field, hands down.

Cons

No leadership, backstabbing, crooked managers, poor culture, aging machines, no training, no respect for employees, dictatorship.

Advice to Management

Grow a pair, and lead your team. Learn how to manage, not turn the staff against each other.