R.R. Donnelley - Dying company | Glassdoor

"Dying company"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with. It made going into the office each day quite bearable.

Cons

Print industry is a dying industry and losing revenue because of it. Need to invest in other areas if they are to stay afloat in the long term.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

Other Employee Reviews for R.R. Donnelley

"Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, everyone genuinely cares about each other and helps out.
    Great place to learn. Wide variety of work.

Cons

I'm not being paid what I think I should be, and we stopped getting merit increases two years ago. I can't say everyone isn't paid well. Just from personal experience. Be sure to start high, salary wise, when coming into the company. Their benefits are getting worse next year too (2013), from what I've heard, but I don't have their insurance.

"Benefits and pay NOT competitive"

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many people seem to care about their work and their customers. Lots of long-term expertise and management that's risen up through the ranks, taking the open-door policy seriously and always ready to improve. Trying to diversify their core business to remain competitive as the global business environment shifts away from paper and printing.

Cons

Bluntly, benefits and pay are not competitive because their core business has a different basis than the industry they're trying to move into; resistance to improving salaries and benefits will result in less-qualified employees and an inability to compete with quality products and service offerings. It's hard to love what you do but to feel like your family is falling behind in real-dollar terms if you keep doing it.

Advice to Management

Review the norm in software-industry benefits and salaries and move your technology business units (and maybe even the whole company) towards that model. Huge tech companies have great salaries and benefits and still pay solid dividends... how do they do it?