R.R. Donnelley - Not sure they actually value their employees.... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for R.R. Donnelley

"Not sure they actually value their employees...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Schedule is very flexible, at least in my department. Locally, the company is active in community outreach....school supply drive for needy children, Christmas presents for seniors, food drive for the Humane League, etc. In my opinion (I know some of my coworkers feel differently), management is doing the best they can with what the corporate folks are allowing them to do. I actually respect them a lot, because I believe they share my frustrations, but are in a very bad position because the higher-ups don't allow them to implement the changes necessary to maintain employee satisfaction.

Cons

Wow...a lot, it seems. Didn't really think about it until I was asked to list them, but here goes....they absolutely (again, at least in my department) do not pay the employees what they are worth. The equipment (computers, phones, cubicles, etc) are WAY outdated. As a result, they ask you to churn out a ridiculous amount of work while not providing you the tools with which to churn. They have methodically taken away benefit after benefit...pension, health benefits,401k match and bonuses. Ridiculously inadequate systems...when you have to wait (literally...I timed it) 3 minutes to go from one screen to another within the proprietary applications, it is obviously time to upgrade.

Advice to Management

Local management...keep fighting the good fight. At least this employee appreciates your continued efforts. Big shots at the corporate level...please realize that it's us little people who are actually doing the work that is earning you your million dollar salaries. A little expense in the grand scheme of things, for instance a consistent small bonus or timely upgrades to facilities and equipment, will pay huge dividends. Your employees should feel lucky to work for you but you should also feel lucky to have the employees that you have. You may have lost sight of the fact that we are literally all in this together. Even a small act of appreciation will gain you employee loyalty, which is something I find to be lacking. Please remember as you are sitting in your big house not having to worry about how you will pay your electric bill that a lot of your employees do not share that experience. We are all just trying to keep a decent roof over our heads and food on the table. Perhaps you could cut your salaries/bonuses just a bit to give the folks in the trenches just a bit more.

Other Employee Reviews for R.R. Donnelley

1. "Overall a positive experience"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Senior Leadership has extremely high standards and business ethics. Company is financially strong and continues to grow in a positive direction.

Cons

An overabundance of latitude given to middle managers in terms of account assignment and job description given that compensation is 100% commission for most sales representatives. Highly political environment with personal agenda as the driver rather than customer welfare at the middle management level.

Advice to Management

Hire mid level managers that have a higher level of integrity, honesty and overall sense of ethics.

2. "Good place to work but slipping fast"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in Danville, KY
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in Danville, KY

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Relaxed Environment
    Good pay (for me anyway)
    Profit sharing

Cons

Dieing Industry - Print is going out
    No Matching 401k since 1/1/2013
    No pension
    Benefits are costly
    Not enough resources to be efficient

Advice to Management

Focus on Waste, Speed, Delay and Housekeeping. If you focus on anything else, your wasting time, money and resources. If you focus on the bottom line, waste speed and delay suffer which makes the bottom line worse. The bottom line is a product of Waste Speed and Delay. Housekeeping is the biggest impact on safety. Good housekeeping drives good safety results. ping