R.R. Donnelley - Relatively Stable Company But Extremely Cheap | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for R.R. Donnelley

"Relatively Stable Company But Extremely Cheap"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours. Nice people to work with. Casual Work Attire. Opportunities to learn new technologies.

Cons

Lack of appreciation of management to employee. Not rewarded for hard work. No real chance for advancement. An Extremely Cheap Company.

Advice to Management

Management should consider their employee's contributions before arbitrarily putting them at the bottom of the pile. Also consider investing in your future -- your employees. As a long time RRD employee I am considering leaving along with many who have already left. The recent 1% raise was an absolute joke to all who received it. I'm sure upper management receives more than 1% on a yearly basis, and it is doubtful that it is well deserved.

Other Employee Reviews for R.R. Donnelley

1. "not great for advancement or creativity"

Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice workers and laid back working environment

Cons

no cons to disclose at this time

"Unrealistic expectations and little to no training"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The fellow employees are incredibly nice and welcoming. There's either so little work to do or the managers are so bad at preparing the work that you'll often spend hours upon hours sitting around doing nothing while you wait for them to get the jobs ready. Oh, and you can also wear comfortable clothing, which is nice.

Cons

They expect new-hires to perform at the same level as those who have been doing their jobs for over six years. In addition, the "training" if you could even call it that, was laughable. It consisted of a day long powerpoint and 2 practice documents. We were then turned loose on live jobs, and when--surprise surprise!-- we make mistakes, we were simply thrown aside, and they had another group of untrained people come in. They do this process repeatedly, and they seriously don't see the idiocy of it. The managers themselves were non-existent, often spending their entire day hunched over their computers, offering no oversight or direction.

My advice: just avoid them altogether, or if you want, milk them for 2-3 weeks worth of money while looking for another job in the considerable downtime you'll have while working there. They don't take your employment seriously, so neither should you.

Advice to Management

Provide actual training, give new employees time to learn, and get managers who actually know what it means to manage.