RAINN - Management micromanages the hotline room | Glassdoor

"Management micromanages the hotline room"

Former Employee - Hotline Staffer

I worked at RAINN part-time

Pros

All the hotline staffers care about supporting survivors, and everyone is dedicated to helping everyone else out on their chats. My years here meant a lot to me and I was sad to leave.

Cons

There is massive turnover due entirely to management who focuses on ways to criticize the staff and not ways to improve the hotline room. The criticism is very subjective, not everyone is held to the same standards. I saw management take personal phone calls, run errands, and watch videos on YouTube, and when a hotline staffer takes a minute to check their phone while waiting for the next crisis call, they're... immediately scolded at. The benefits are terrible. You barely accrue vacation or sick leave, and you're guilt-tripped for taking a day off because you're exhausted.

Advice to Management

APPRECIATE YOUR HOTLINE STAFF. Instead of trying to find something to criticize us for, think about ways to better our high stress shifts. We've given feedback so many times for why we're all leaving. Listen to the feedback you're getting and incorporate that. Ignoring us and just treating us like kids will lead to more turnover which directly affects the services provided by the online hotline.

RAINN2017-09-24

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great people & fulfilling work"

Former Employee - SHL Helpline Staffer

I worked at RAINN part-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff is hardworking, passionate, and fun. I looked forward to going into the office to be around colleagues. Family-like environment. Loved leadership's attention to self-care and the risk of secondary trauma- provided lots of supportive resources and protocol to manage the nature of the work.

Cons

This type of work can cause burnout if you're not diligent about self-care and work/life balance.

RAINN2019-08-01
  2. "DoD Safe Helpline Staffer"

Current Employee - DoD Safe Helpline Staffer

I have been working at RAINN part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work. Teaches you team-work and empathy.

Cons

Management that is above the managers you work with every day. Some of the rules are inconsistent and not taught to you.

RAINN2019-07-08

Discover more reviews about RAINN.