RAINN - The Online Hotline | Glassdoor

"The Online Hotline"

Current Employee - Staffer in Washington, DC

I have been working at RAINN part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working on the online hotline because of my fellow staffers and the work being done. There are so many passionate and talented individuals working for this very important cause. Although it can be emotionally draining and a lot on top of my other job, especially because we are so short staffed, it is rewarding.

Cons

I really don't think the management at RAINN or office staff value the online hotline staff which is unfortunate because they are doing the brunt of RAINN's direct service work. The turnover on the hotline has become insane...long time staff are leaving left and right because they feel overworked, unappreciated, and undervalued. The pay is also minimal so it is the kind of thing you do part time on the side or in... addition to many other jobs. I work with the most amazing people so it disappoints me to see so little investment in appreciating all the incredible work being done.

Advice to Management

I really recommend hiring a few full time staff with benefits and regular pay and supplement them with part time staff to reduce the stress of the turn over. You cannot pay rent here by working full time so it causes people to balance so many commitments and it negatively impacts the morale and the retention. I also think that investing a little more time and energy in making hotline staff feel appreciated and... valued will help.

RAINN2013-10-07

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great people & fulfilling work"

Former Employee - SHL Helpline Staffer

I worked at RAINN part-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff is hardworking, passionate, and fun. I looked forward to going into the office to be around colleagues. Family-like environment. Loved leadership's attention to self-care and the risk of secondary trauma- provided lots of supportive resources and protocol to manage the nature of the work.

Cons

This type of work can cause burnout if you're not diligent about self-care and work/life balance.

RAINN2019-08-01
  2. "DoD Safe Helpline Staffer"

Current Employee - DoD Safe Helpline Staffer

I have been working at RAINN part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work. Teaches you team-work and empathy.

Cons

Management that is above the managers you work with every day. Some of the rules are inconsistent and not taught to you.

RAINN2019-07-08

Discover more reviews about RAINN.