RAND - Great history, rocky future. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for RAND

"Great history, rocky future."

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at RAND full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you have a strong research portfolio, or are a programmer interested in policy research, you'll have opportunities. Administration is an afterthought.

Cons

Administration is not highly valued. Career growth in this flat organization is difficult for administrative positions. If you're not interested in increasing responsibility and just want to stay where you are, this can be OK.

Other Employee Reviews for RAND

"Highly Challenging But Rewarding"

Current Employee - Associate Behavioral/Social Scientist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Behavioral/Social Scientist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wide variety of research projects; work with smart people; flat hierarchy; broad freedom and no micromanagement (almost no management at all). Really like the autonomy to get stuff done--as long as the job is about results, and I can skin the cat my way, I'll stay here.

Cons

High pressure; have to find work internally or bring in work; co-workers have very broad range of social skills; it's sink or swim.

Advice to Management

So far I'm pretty happy here, but I'm also finding it easy to find work and make connections. I wonder if there are people who, with a little help and scaffolding, could be more succesful.

"RAND is a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RAND full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

RAND is a stimulating environment to work in. There are a lot of very intelligent people working here who do research and make a positive difference in the world.
    Benefits at RAND are great.
    A new CIO started a little over a year ago who is making a very positive difference in the IS department. He is putting processes and procedures in place and setting high standards. He has an open door policies and listens to his staff. It will take a little time, but he will make the IS group much stronger and able to meet the needs of their customers.

Cons

A lot of RAND employees have been there a very long time which can be good and bad. Sometimes you need some "new blood" to move things forward.