REAL Software Systems - It contains all of the trappings of a small and large company, with very few of the benefits. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for REAL Software Systems

"It contains all of the trappings of a small and large company, with very few of the benefits."

Pros

- Great colleagues
- Flexible work environment
- Multitude of client interactions and expectations to develop inter-personal skills and business tact

Cons

- Isolated departments, with muddled lines of communication
- Lack of clear communication from upper management
- Lack of clear career advancement path
- Lack of clear responsibility
- Unprofessional firing practices (no notice or prior warnings)
- A reactive, versus proactive approach to handling issues, internally and externally

Advice to Management

- Give us a clear goal for the company that everyone can look up to, aside from, "Let's make these sales figures."
- Promote true innovation and openness within the organization to tap the full potential of their employees (there are quite a few that are under-utilized and having their skills go to waste)
- Re-evaluate the hiring process. It takes too long, is too elaborate, and provides no transparency for the organization as a whole.

Other Employee Reviews for REAL Software Systems

"Interesting technical problems with good work life balance but stale, stifling, and uninspiring work environment"

Former Employee - Database Developer (Project Development) in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at REAL Software Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Low stress, good hours, semi-cubicles offer lots of privacy for introverted-minded people, interesting technical problems, great introduction to development for people without computer science degrees (I'm from a math background and many RSS employees are from math or physics)

Cons

Experimentation and new approaches to problems are generally suppressed and discouraged, little room for career development both in terms of salary and job role, salary is fairly low for a development position (especially after a year or two of working there), unpredictable interactions between development and project teams lead to many revisions and ambiguities, most employees are uninspired and seem just to work for a paycheck and not because they enjoy their work, very arrogant DBAs who behave "professionally" but with obvious undertones to much of what they say, absymal employee training offerings mostly featuring PowerPoint slides and being flooded with information which isn't being documented anywhere for future reference, absolutely no technical documentation of any kind regarding the data model, poor benefits including an extremely limited covered Pharmacy formulary and high copays as of the new coverage plan started in 2017

Advice to Management

Give developers more support for working on company-related innovative projects, improve protocols for communication between development and project teams, hire at least one business analyst to manage the translation of business requirements to technical requirements, organize more informal gatherings for the teams to get together outside of the office

"Avoid like the plague"

I worked at REAL Software Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro is that the work hours are incredibly flexible. Otherwise that's it.

Cons

For starters, I know that the company doesn’t believe these reviews are real, and that they’ve asked current employees to write good reviews for them in the past. I can tell you that everything described here is accurate and similar to what I experienced during my tenure. A couple of thoughts:
    -The benefits can best described as virtually nonexistent, and the salaries are much lower than market value and what other technology companies will pay for similar work. The management will gaslight you however, and try to make you believe that they’re doing you a favor by paying you minimally.
    -The core product is riddled with defects and is needlessly complex, and any suggestions on how to improve it or create a better user interface are disregarded.
    -Any time I tried to offer suggestions on how to reorganize a particular process or improve anything internally, I was ignored and made to feel like an idiot. The managers are entitled jerks who think they know everything, and once they have set their mind on what they intend to do, will not hear any advice to the contrary. I had to constantly fight for resources, and to be taken seriously when I brought a problem to my manager’s attention. Even when I did manage to get my manager’s attention, he would usually not defend me or come to support me in any way.
    -There are absolutely no career development opportunities. Even if you are proactive about advancing your interests and working on diverse projects, you will be ignored. The turnover is also incredibly high, I calculated that during my 3 years with the company, over 50 people quit, out of a company of around 80.
    -The upper management is so sales focused that they are completely and utterly neglecting the consulting arm of the business, which drives the majority of the revenue.
    I could go on, but I think I’ve gotten my point across. In sum, this is not a good place to be.

Advice to Management

You need to reorganize the entire company, and start treating your employees with respect they deserve.