REC Solar - Good place to work with expanding potential | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for REC Solar

"Good place to work with expanding potential"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Luis Obispo, CA
Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at REC Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

REC Solar is a good place to work, most of the people here are great to work with and REC's IT department is one of the few places where you can gain experience using products such as Oracle ERP, Salesforce.com, and Juinper Hardware/Junos. They invest a large portion of budget into their IT department because at the end of the day having strong IT systems can push you organization past the competition.

A few other things:

The atmosphere is enjoyable yet professional
Plenty of room for personal growth if you are willing to get out of your comfort zone
Great people to work with
Great place to live

Cons

Like most places you have a handful of people (though out of an organization of 1000+) who are not the most pleasant to work with but that is to be expected as not everyone sees eye to eye on business strategy in a growing company.

The executive managment has experienced high turn over in the past which to some may be concering.

Pay is average at the Individual Contribitor level, but some departments have a better ability to retain talent when compared to others which can be frusturating.

The Solar industry is very competive and is lacking some stability, thankfully REC is one of the few profitable Solar companies around but at times is it still disconcerting.

SOP across the organization need to be enforced and/or created, unfortuntely few employees appreciate the necessity of SOP and supporting policies and Executive Management is not very good at forcing employees to follow it when it inconveniences them.

Advice to Management

Invest more into your top talent and share services talent, many companies are poaching people from REC because they have qualities and the necessary experience that larger companies need.

Enforce SOP and related policies, without them you will never be able to grow the company to level the board is looking for.

Other Employee Reviews for REC Solar

1. "Just when I think I'm out...they pull me back in"

Current Employee - Solar Energy Consultant in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Solar Energy Consultant in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at REC Solar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture-It's like working for a small company but with big corporate stability. REC focuses on it's employees and customers. The industry itself is always rapidly changing and at times REC doesn't change as fast, but is always focused on long-term, profitable, and sustained growth which in my book is a plus. If you are entry level there are great opportunities for advancement and you will receive far better training and on-going support than other organizations. Regardless of changing market conditions I have been able to increase my pay YOY. I have hard working colleagues to rely on and great people to spend time with outside of work as well (even the engineers are cool here)

Cons

Not much room for advancement at a branch office if not willing to relocate.

Advice to Management

Never forget what it was like when you were in the trenches.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Engineer Technician Coordinator in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer Technician Coordinator in Ventura, CA

I have been working at REC Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers with an abundance of respect and appreciation for one another. "Family" like atmosphere. The ability to grow up in the company. Everyone works hard and lends a hand to others to lighten each others workload. In an industry that pays little REC is relevant. Its not what you make an hour. Its what take home at the end of the year. I cant remember my last paycheck of less than 40 hours.

Cons

None. I truly love my job and have zero intention of leaving. I've been all around the industry and we've got it made!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You have created a great work environment and hope to be coworkers for a long time to come.