REC Solar - good easy job,lots of overtime | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for REC Solar

"good easy job,lots of overtime"

Former Employee - Solar Installer in Cal-Nev-Ari, NV
Former Employee - Solar Installer in Cal-Nev-Ari, NV

I worked at REC Solar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there is alot of overtime

Cons

management could be alittle easier goin

Advice to Management

hire more diversity

Other Employee Reviews for REC Solar

1. "Good people, good team; Insufficient sales"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at REC Solar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in the East Coast office in 2012, but I got to know many of the people from the San Luis Obispo HQ during a 2 week initial training period there. As an EPC manager, I found the people that I worked with to be supportive and mission oriented, and working well together. In the few cases where there were disagreements, we were able to work them out without too much difficulty. Their construction supervisors were knowledgeable too, and kept the jobs moving so that we were able to meet challenging schedule goals, and finish projects with good profit margins.

Of course, I can't speak to changes since late 2012--I haven't worked there since then.

Cons

Either they had insufficient amount of staff selling commercial projects on the East Coast, or they just weren't making the right connections, because the sales volume declined, which led to layoffs.

Advice to Management

Make a stronger effort to retain existing, proven staff. If there is a slowdown in part of the company, look for temporary assignments they can fill in other parts of the company. This has several advantages:
    a) it builds employee loyalty and increases morale in an industry that suffers from uncertainty
    b) it provides cross-training so that employees have a broader perspective of different aspects of the company. Not only does the re-assigned person learn from his new position, but people in his new department will likely learn from his previous experience.
    c) it enables you to benefit for a longer time from the people whom you've trained and who know the company's culture
    d) it saves you from losing experienced staff (whom you've invested training in) to your competitors
    e) it reduces your unemployment rating and associated taxes.

In some cases, you might find people willing to take a temporary pay cut in order to fit into another position, while waiting for their original position to reactivate when new jobs come in.

"Company too full of entitled and arrogant 20-something year-olds"

Current Employee - Manager in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at REC Solar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Good mission to bring solar energy to mainstream-- their motto as Mainstream energy. However, the pricing for installation seems to vary depending on what the sales person can get the client to pay in terms of price per watt. Their commission goes way up if they oversell above the minimum price. A questionable business practice, but lucrative for the company as well as the sales person.

Cons

Training programs are weak at best and are run by recent college graduates who are arrogant and possess minimal social skills. Training should not be handled by these personality types. Company has a reputation for high turn-over. 3 CEOS in 3 years and high turn-over in several departments due to apparent high level of dysfunction.

Advice to Management

Value your people and treat them well for working diligently on behalf of the company mission. Provide solid training programs and guidelines for your new employees so they have a solid foundation to benefit the company. Monitor the training skills of new trainers and ascertain that new employees are not subject to their eye-rolling arrogance and poor training skills.

REC Solar Response

Nov 1, 2013 – Human Resources Manager

As an organization, we appreciate candid feedback and strive to make improvements and clarify questions so our employees are informed. Thank you for your post. We have reviewed information and... More