REI - Best thing that's ever happened to me so far. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for REI

"Best thing that's ever happened to me so far."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Pros

Fun, real, appreciative, respectful management and coworkers. Major focus on work/life balance. Cooperative, family-like staff. Transparent senior management and company policies. Same-sex partner benefits, part-timer insurance, life-partner benefits, focus on growth opportunities if you want them. Retirement contribution matching. Twice annual performance-based bonus- yes, that's a retail worker getting an extra check for doing well as an individual. Tremendous discounts. Lots of recognition for jobs well done. I can't say enough to put REI on a pedestal as an employer!

Cons

Light staffing can sometimes amount to a thankless day of hard work and cranky customers- but at least your management won't accuse you of being the source of their distress. Also, its retail, so its not likely that you'll get a consistent schedule (which for some is a pro, for some is a con).

Advice to Management

Thank you for moving ahead with recent tech improvements planned (you know what I mean), give stores an inventory specialist again (we need them), and some of your efficiency is resulting in a less-than-comforting automated feeling: bring public transportation reimbursement, referrals and other things closer to home again so we don't feel like cattle. I've never felt like that at REI up until recently.

Other Employee Reviews for REI

"great company, great lifestyle"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Tempe, AZ

Pros

awesome coworkers, easygoing atmosphere, excellent company framework

Cons

it's retail - lots of flaky coworkers, and sometimes really young too.

"Bottom line is its all about the dollar sign"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Pros

-Great place to work while in college or as a recent graduate trying to figure out what to do with your life.
    -Health benefits are fantastic but you have to work a lot to get them.
    -Amazing employee discounts that enable you to get the gear you want so you can get out and do what you want.

Cons

-Management tries to push membership conversion rating without ever telling you what your stake in that as part of the excels bonus is. I wish they would be more up front and honest about the financial implications of that.
    -Unless you are worthy of endorsement and want it they will not mentor you. Some of us would like to get in a position to work in the outdoor industry as a company rep, but they either don't care or don't know about that side of the business.

Advice to Management

Be up front and honest with employees about how they benefit from good sales numbers. Stop sugarcoating it. If I had known that my excels bonus could be impacted by $200-$300 based on a conversion rate or sales number I would of been a lot more motivated.