REI - Great for those who do what we sell | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for REI

"Great for those who do what we sell"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranston, RI
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranston, RI

Pros

REI is a great place to work if you participate in the activities that we sell gear for. Discounts and pro deals are awesome, so it really helps if you're trying to gear up. The hours are really flexible and managers are accommodating if you are in school or have another job. The staff is friendly and its easy to make friends there. Everyone is willing to get you outside and do the activities they do even if you haven't done it before.

Cons

It's tough to move up if you start at the bottom. There are a lot of steps to complete to become a supervisor and so forth with each step you take. Also the pay isn't the best unless you are a store manager or higher. Its definitely not minimum wage but you can't survive on this job alone. Most of us have more than one job or are retired and just working for fun.

Other Employee Reviews for REI

1. "REI is one the best companies to work for!"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fremont, CA

Pros

Balance. Fun. Benefits. People. Gear. Teamwork. Discounts. Culture!

Cons

Always wanting to buy the latest and greatest gear!

2. "Best thing that's ever happened to me so far."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Pros

Fun, real, appreciative, respectful management and coworkers. Major focus on work/life balance. Cooperative, family-like staff. Transparent senior management and company policies. Same-sex partner benefits, part-timer insurance, life-partner benefits, focus on growth opportunities if you want them. Retirement contribution matching. Twice annual performance-based bonus- yes, that's a retail worker getting an extra check for doing well as an individual. Tremendous discounts. Lots of recognition for jobs well done. I can't say enough to put REI on a pedestal as an employer!

Cons

Light staffing can sometimes amount to a thankless day of hard work and cranky customers- but at least your management won't accuse you of being the source of their distress. Also, its retail, so its not likely that you'll get a consistent schedule (which for some is a pro, for some is a con).

Advice to Management

Thank you for moving ahead with recent tech improvements planned (you know what I mean), give stores an inventory specialist again (we need them), and some of your efficiency is resulting in a less-than-comforting automated feeling: bring public transportation reimbursement, referrals and other things closer to home again so we don't feel like cattle. I've never felt like that at REI up until recently.