REI - Low hourly wages, great benefits package, and fun outdoorsy people to work with. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for REI

"Low hourly wages, great benefits package, and fun outdoorsy people to work with."

Current Employee - Master Technician in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Master Technician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at REI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits packages including great health coverage, 15% automatic 401k company contribution, dental. Tuition assistance and flexible schedules make this a great job for students and people looking for a fun job for extra cash and perks. Other perks include discounts on gear, cheap ski tickets, access to shop services, and much more...

Cons

Low hourly wages. Hours can be cut back severely if business slows. Full benefits packages not available until 1500 hours worked (part-time benefits packages available from date of hire). Quality of management varies from store-to-store, but most store management teams are woefully ineffective as leaders.

Advice to Management

Cut back on management functions first when times get tight, customer service is what REI is built on and cutting back hours on the sales floor is a short-sighted solution that will erode the company's reputation as a top-tier customer service business. In the modern e-commerce era REI cannot afford to compete on price, so don't erode your only competitive advantage by short staffing your stores.

Other Employee Reviews for REI

1. "It's great to work with people who all love the same things you do!"

Former Intern - User Experience Designer in Kent, WA
    Former Intern - User Experience Designer in Kent, WA

I worked at REI as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

REI is a great place to work. Team members are very supportive and everyone's works well together to get the job done. Nowhere else I've ever been has encouraged having a work/life balance as much as REI. There are yoga class, crossfit, bike rides, and people who go running every day at lunch and everyone's always talking about their next great outdoor adventure. I had the opportunity to meet with Sally Jewell also and she is an outstanding leader for the company and easy to talk to.

Cons

Sometimes I felt I lacked a bit of the knowledge that it was assumed that I had, but there was always someone to go to for help or advice.

"Would recommend!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, employee discounts, incredible co-workers, company values.

Cons

Worklife balance can be questionable and varies from dept to dept. Change is very slow. They often times don't hire enough people to do the work and then wonder why the work product is mediocre.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your people, when they tell you they are overworked, do something about it. Don't tell us to "stop/Start/Continue" and then never let us "stop" anything.