REI - Could be better | Glassdoor

"Could be better"

Pros

Employee discounts, flexibility, fun work environment

Cons

Below average pay for a specialty retailer, policy inconsistencies from store management, lack of accountability and poor technological infrastructure

Advice to Management

Invest in infrastructure, it is difficult for most employees to do with their daily tasks with such antiquated systems and increase based pay, we are losing top-performing employees due to low salaries. To have the thinking "it's retail" so we can be okay with low salaries is thinking in the past I feel this is the largest opportunity for REI to separate themselves from the rest of the field in terms taking care of your employees.

Other Employee Reviews for REI

1. "Sales Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at REI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discounts on products are phenomenal. The company values are awesome. The camaraderie is great-everyone is more than willing to help out their teammates. The product quality is very good and the training and training resources leave little room for inadequacy. They are very accommodating with availability=work/life balance.

Cons

The pay rate is a bit low. The product discounts make up for the low pay, but that does not pay bills! It is also sometimes hard to get enough hours to make the paycheck work. When trying to promote, it seems that people who aren't willing to relocate are somewhat penalized.

2. "Former Camping Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Eugene, OR

I worked at REI part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at REI. It was a perfect part-time job to get me through college. REI emphasizes a good work/life balance. Scheduling is very flexible with sick and vacation pay for employees who meet certain criteria. Discounts are fantastic.

The Eugene store had a fire that put REI out of commission for a couple of months. REI was amazing and supportive - they continued to provide paychecks based on employee rolling averages.

Cons

Pressure to sell memberships was frustrating at times. Most of the things I disliked about working at REI were not specific to REI as a company, but retail in general. Scheduling was irregular at times, but that was fine as a student.