REI - Came up through the stores | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for REI

"Came up through the stores"

Former Employee - Senior Training & Development Specialist in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Senior Training & Development Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at REI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good worklife balance
Great for people that enjoy the outdoors particularly if you are looking for deep discounts on outdoor product for yourself.
One of the 100 Best Companies
Good potential for retirement contributions

Cons

Limited opportunities for career progression.
Can take a while to be seen as being part of REI
There is a strong focus on whether you will "fit" with the company and the culture
Slow to change and adapt

Other Employee Reviews for REI

"Disappointing at best"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at REI part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers from all walks of life, interesting customers

Cons

highly fluctuating hours, extremely low "pay raise" (0.11 per hr), obvious "favorites" that get more hours, LOTS of stocking, no way to move up in the company without relocating

Advice to Management

It's a pity and a shame that talented people are not COMPENSATED for their hard work and dedication to the company. It's also amazing that someone could get a "'perfect" review, with NO need for improvement, yet they do NOT qualify for the "top" raise (.22 cents/hr--what a JOKE and an INSULT.) Most employees have more skill, knowledge, and DEGREES than the "management," yet make only 1/5 of their salaries.

"One of the TOP companies to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at REI part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work environment, fun co-workers, instant friends network, fun customers. I'm a shoe sales specialist, and I'm kind of a nerd about it. I love my co-workers, my customers and my supervisors. I love what I sell too. Really, you can't beat it.

Cons

With all retail sales environments, you have the occasional grumpy customer. In general, I think REI's customers are a lot more fun to work with than some at other local retailers. There's obviously the push to "sell, sell, sell," but that's expected. And honestly, I was once rewarded by my supervisor for convincing a customer NOT to buy a new pair of boots. Instead I worked with the customer's current pair until they fit correctly.

Advice to Management

It is my understanding that the endorsement process was originally created out of the desire to provide each staff member an equal opportunity for success and advancement. The rumor is that historically management 'played favorites' with sales staff and looked to promote the people they liked best. From my perspective, I think the endorsement process has brought structure to the favoritism. I work part-time because I have another full-time position elsewhere. I am not personally invested in becoming endorsed, but I have been with the company almost 8 years and seen many good quality candidates get passed over while less leaderly individuals get endorsed, then hired, and then fired. I wonder how revising that program could/would/should encourage a more fair process that leads to greater success for employees and the company alike.