REI - REI Seasonal customer service | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for REI

"REI Seasonal customer service"

Current Employee - Seasonal Representative in Sumner, WA
Current Employee - Seasonal Representative in Sumner, WA

I have been working at REI part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Will work your schedule to help you. Training galore! Nice people to work with. Benefits for seasonal workers.

Cons

Have to really push memberships.

Other Employee Reviews for REI

"Quality of job depends on the store"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist

I worked at REI part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

REI gives great gear discounts, generally has a fun and like-minded staff, is great about transferring to other stores if you move out of state, is good with their environmental stewardship, and has decent pay (compared to other retailers.) In the right market, it was one of the best jobs I ever had.

Cons

The quality of all of the pros for this job are completely dependent on the store or market you work in. I worked in three stores in two markets (the West and Midwest) over the course of six years. I LOVED working for this company in the Western market. Really loved it. So much so that I had decided that I wanted to pursue a long-term career with the company. All of the employees hung out, I went out for the occasional drink or bite to eat with my managers and co-workers (without the entire store being invited as formal function), at work, we worked as a team, and we all just had fun together. Work hard, play hard.

When I moved I transferred to the Midwest market. Honestly, it completely ruined my interest in the company. The corporate culture was completely different. The managers were on the mean side, it was frowned on for any of the management team to do anything outside of work (that wasn't a company function) with anybody of a "lesser" position than them, tons of favorites (who were the ones that got hours), ASMs and SM would completely undermine the Supervisors, and every day we got basically yelled at because we were low in memberships and told that if we didn't have high membership sales we wouldn't get hours (this happened even on days where we were supposed to be working stock shifts.) And even though we were supposed to have a "confidential" phone number we could call about these problems, the minute anybody called, the managers knew who it was (because the HR person would tell them details, of course) and shortly after the person who called either got fired or was so under the gun they quit. It got to be so miserable I gave up on a career and left the company.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what is happening to your corporate culture as you move your stores away from HQ. It seems like the more stores you open up further away from the West, the more the REI values that your employees love diminish. In this regard, it seems that REI is becoming just another mediocre retail store to work for that cares only about profit and treats its employees as expendable.

"Came up through the stores"

Former Employee - Senior Training & Development Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Training & Development Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at REI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good worklife balance
    Great for people that enjoy the outdoors particularly if you are looking for deep discounts on outdoor product for yourself.
    One of the 100 Best Companies
    Good potential for retirement contributions

Cons

Limited opportunities for career progression.
    Can take a while to be seen as being part of REI
    There is a strong focus on whether you will "fit" with the company and the culture
    Slow to change and adapt