REI - Excellent Company to work for - Great culture and company values | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for REI

"Excellent Company to work for - Great culture and company values"

I have been working at REI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Talented co-workers
Treat people with respect
Listen to their employees
Offer flexible work schedules where possible

Cons

Thoughtful consideration can lead to slow decision making sometimes

Advice to Management

Continue to create a sense of urgency in the organization. Retail is a very competitive landscape.

Other Employee Reviews for REI

"Poor treatment of transfer employees"

Pros

Great prodeals from the vendors, potentially good benefits (insurance, school reimbursement, etc.), generally fun, low-stress environment to work in.

Cons

Since starting at REI nearly three years ago, I've been a huge advocate of the company. As a new hire, I was impressed by the treatment I received, the attempt to cater to my schedule, the training, the opportunity to get insurance and other benefits. After two years of service and multiple positive reviews, I moved to a different city for school and requested a transfer to the store there. When I arrived, I was told I'd have to "show 'em what I've got" and was faced with a marked decrease in hours (presumable until I proved myself). I found this odd as I'd been "proving myself" for two years and had the endorsement (required on the transfer request) from my previous supervisors and store manager. Why now do I have to jump through hoops to get hours? Why accept the transfer if the store doesn't need employees? It was an ongoing game that eventually impacted my rolling average thus causing me to lose my insurance! I had more hours as a new-hire with next to no experience or knowledge (compared to now) with no trouble at all! Why would REI give more benefit of doubt to an unknown entity than to a dedicated, proven and loyal REI veteran?????

Advice to Management

Support your loyal employees!

"Great college job until I got a "real" job."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at REI part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in, pay was ok. Discounts/benefits and work life balance were awesome. Overall a great place to work.

Cons

Crappy hours at times, short shifts made coming to work a chore at times (not worth the commute). Pushing memberships became a punishment for working (or not)

Advice to Management

Too much focus on selling memberships for sales associates.