REI - One of the 100 Best, many years running | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for REI

"One of the 100 Best, many years running"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture and work/life balance. Good brand and opportunity to work on cool projects. Great discounts for outdoorsy types. It's a company you can be proud of and is seen as an industry leader.

Cons

Pay is not the highest in industry. There's sometimes a lack of direction. Management going through some growing pains, but is taking steps to improve.

Advice to Management

Fight to retain experienced internal talent. Maintain your brand identity and culture.

Other Employee Reviews for REI

1. "Excellent Company to work for - Great culture and company values"

I have been working at REI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Talented co-workers
    Treat people with respect
    Listen to their employees
    Offer flexible work schedules where possible

Cons

Thoughtful consideration can lead to slow decision making sometimes

Advice to Management

Continue to create a sense of urgency in the organization. Retail is a very competitive landscape.

"Poor treatment of transfer employees"

Pros

Great prodeals from the vendors, potentially good benefits (insurance, school reimbursement, etc.), generally fun, low-stress environment to work in.

Cons

Since starting at REI nearly three years ago, I've been a huge advocate of the company. As a new hire, I was impressed by the treatment I received, the attempt to cater to my schedule, the training, the opportunity to get insurance and other benefits. After two years of service and multiple positive reviews, I moved to a different city for school and requested a transfer to the store there. When I arrived, I was told I'd have to "show 'em what I've got" and was faced with a marked decrease in hours (presumable until I proved myself). I found this odd as I'd been "proving myself" for two years and had the endorsement (required on the transfer request) from my previous supervisors and store manager. Why now do I have to jump through hoops to get hours? Why accept the transfer if the store doesn't need employees? It was an ongoing game that eventually impacted my rolling average thus causing me to lose my insurance! I had more hours as a new-hire with next to no experience or knowledge (compared to now) with no trouble at all! Why would REI give more benefit of doubt to an unknown entity than to a dedicated, proven and loyal REI veteran?????

Advice to Management

Support your loyal employees!