REI - Horrible experience, don't work at this location! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for REI

"Horrible experience, don't work at this location!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Northville, MI
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Northville, MI

Pros

-Customers can be awesome
-Discounts (50% off REI products, 30% off all other brands)
-Pro-dealing through companies
-Work parties and management bringing on food which helped especially on days where there was a big sale
-Breaks were fair and reasonable
-Awesome pay for the job (start out at $9.90 an hour)

Cons

At my location, I had the unfortunate experience of working with management who were corrupt. They based their decisions based on politics and popularity of the individual. If you weren't in their inner circle, you weren't treated fairly. There was NO POSSIBLE WAY to make any of the managers happy. You think you're doing it right, and a manager tells you you're wrong. I was also shoved out of the way by a manager (literally) for dealing with a customer in the wrong way. The registers were made so that our backs were constantly to the customers and management would complain about us never looking back to see if customers were in line. ALSO, I worked there for a year and there was NO hope that I would ever move off of Frontline. I know that I did a great job, but management failed to base hours and promotions on job performance. There was absolutely no positive reinforcement. If something was my fault, I was battered and criticized until I cried. I had one specific manager that would constantly berate me, no matter what I did. It just seems like it would be a great place to work if the management wasn't as awful as it was at the Northville, MI location. Don't work here. STAY AWAY.

Advice to Management

POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT. Stop giving us the negative and tell us what we are doing right and how we can fix the wrong. Berating our performance is not going to help fix the situation, it will just make us not care even more. Also, stop pressuring the employees to sell memberships, when they aren't commission based and it also makes the job more fun when they're pushed so hard!

Other Employee Reviews for REI

"It's all about who you directly work with... & it's totally corporate."

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Falls Church, VA

Pros

It's a relatively easy job, even in customer service with difficult customers that come there w/ problems.

Cons

The ideals/image of REI & the reality are not exactly the same. Very corporate
    The scheduling became increasingly difficult.
    Low compensation
    Having to push "memberships"
    Boredom factor... it is retail after all. Could be worse (as in sales associate)
    It's not as portable of a job as one would think... I know one person who moved cross country & was promised close to FT hours but kept getting less than 20h/wk.
    Evaluations are done thru some system that was clearly brought (bought) from some management consulting (software) company... not always reflective or considerate of all the factors.

Advice to Management

Every company has to evolve but its a shame REI has evolved so far away from it's roots & values. Big fast growth isn't always best.

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Cashier in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Durham, NC

Pros

Great Discounts. you get 50 or more percent off, its crazy who would want to pay regular price after that

Cons

They brainwash you with corporate bull, 20 hour miniumum work week, required meetings, unhappy customers, short lunches, no bathroom breaks

Advice to Management

Its really a great place to work. you get awesome discounts, 50 percent or more off, its crazy. who would want to pay retail after that