RELX Group - In a cutthroat market, you need to be in touch with all employees. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for RELX Group

"In a cutthroat market, you need to be in touch with all employees."

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

Pros

Reed Elsevier provides a decent salary and package, compared to the rest of the industry, which is in dire straits.. Some nice co-workers made the experience pleasant on a day to day basis. Management is pleasant on the face of it, as it is most places in publishing, but gives poor, useless, or no feedback while a project is going on. It has a good reputation in an industry which has the shakes, thanks to diversified products that keep its neck above water.

Cons

There is poor communication throughout the system, a throwback to an era when things moved along at a lazy pace in publishing. But it matters a lot today. Heavy on the politics, even to the detriment of work time.

Advice to Management

Better communication up and down. Reward outstanding contributors to the team effort.

Other Employee Reviews for RELX Group

1. "Good corporate mission, poor management"

Current Employee - Vice President in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

The best reason to work at Reed elsevier is that the overall mission to help improve the delivery of health information and to better patient outcomes is compelling

Cons

Very poor senior management and pay is on the lower side of the scale!!

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to value its employees

"Low pay, and mind-numbing work, but you can take lots of days off..."

Former Employee - Journals, Editorial Production in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Journals, Editorial Production in San Diego, CA

Pros

The company is based in Europe, so the attitude throughout the U.S. offices seems to be a tad more "Euro" also. Great vacation time, sick time, AND personal days. Managers are known for being fairly chill and understanding. There is also the opportunity to travel if you have been at the company long enough, and if you are lucky, basically.

Cons

LOW pay and VERY limited opportunity for advancement, even though management (via corporate)tries to act like there is, by requiring you to fill out a "personal development plan" that is basically BS. It is a genius idea to keep us motivated, but it becomes a big joke to anyone who had been there longer than a year. My branch was also littered with people who were probably considered "unemployable" for the most part, and were just happy to have a job.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more candid about our significance in the company. We know there is little to no chance for promotion. We know our job is easily replaced by outsourcing (or more sophisticated softwware). Don't kiss our ass and give us a condescending pat on the head (or a measly $5 starbux card) when we do something right. Anyone who has a half a brain can see through it and it's demoralizing.