Rackspace - We're a scrappy bunch, and I'd walk from AMZN, MSFT, and GOOG. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

"We're a scrappy bunch, and I'd walk from AMZN, MSFT, and GOOG."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Rackspace has some of the best, brightest, and most inventive in the industry, and has for years. I wish I had this opportunity earlier in my tech career. I learned more in my first year at Rackspace than I had in the five years prior to my joining (in 2005). I've learned more in the past few years than I ever had the opportunity to anywhere else. You will learn how to do whatever makes you happy on the company's dime if you are a performer here. This is a great place to grow and transform your career. You get what you give. A lot of complainers here are not the giving type.

Cons

There is an occasional battle of wit and/or ego to get things done that didn't exist when the company was smaller and we knew each other by first names. This has led to lowered expectations across the support floor, and ultimately the customers are paying for it. I really think everyone ought to wake up and remember who pays our paychecks. Low bonus payout? Quit slacking so hard and throwing excuses in the way of results! Stop building processes that slow things for the sake of slowing things! Onboarding needs a serious money injection.

Advice to Management

I've always loved listening to Lanham. He is an inspirational speaker. I think that most of his realizations around industry movement are about 6-12 months too late. I really hope he can become a more agile executor so that Rackspace can ultimately come out on top.

Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace

1. "SALES ASSOCIATE ACQUISTIONS - SMALL TO MEDIUM BUSINESSES"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, A nice place to work, and you can move within the company basically anywhere

Cons

Horrible management, You are just a number there, I've seen them fire many in the passed few months for no reason (They make up some BS excuse) lack of leadership when you get there, they stick you on the floor for 2 weeks then send you to training for 2 weeks. You are basically lost and they like to play the "Politics" game, so if you rub someone the wrong way, expect to be assisted into a small room with an HR rep and termination papers

Advice to Management

Take care of your new employees immediately. There needs to be more communication and leadership as someone new comes in so they are able to hit the ground running after a month. The pay was fair, but below Industry Standard. The managers will lie like crazy and fire you without hesitation - I sure wont recommend Rackspace to anyone anymore. They have changed, and you are going to be losing very valuable employees as a result. Get it together RACKSPACE! - JOB SECURITY IS HORRIBLE! - Thanks for Unemployment..

"Can be a lot of fun if you work on 1st shift. Otherwise be prepared for a lot of work with no feeling of accomplishment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my experience the biggest pro has been the exposure to different networking devices and technologies. The people that you will get to work with on after-hours, for the most part, are some of the best in the company. We work hard to get things done and we have a fairly strong team cohesion.

Cons

Working after-hours is a major contrast to what you see in the videos and what you would see during a tour. We are actually required to do our jobs and we cannot act as if we are still in high school. If, for instance, 1st shift has some sort of party and blows off their duties it's not treated as a big deal, but if after-hours were to do the same thing we would never hear the end of it. We typically clean up the mess and do the dirty work all with significantly less staffing. The biggest con would be the stress this type of environment produces. When you have to work hard everyday just to make a dent in the problem, yet the other teams spend more time having fun than doing work can make for a motivation killer. The worst part of the whole situation is that management seems to lean harder and harder on those who do the job and do it well while letting the people who are not doing work or doing it poorly continue to do so.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the situation here. The Mr. Nice guy management style is obviously not working in all instances where employees are taking advantage of the situation. You need to take a hard look at performance metrics and do a little of this thing called managing. I am not saying that we need to turn into a draconian strictly numbers type of organization, but we do need to set fair and equal expectations for employees. In a properly managed situation we wouldn't have this large disparity in production and quality of work. I think the company as a whole could become immensely better if we focused a little more and getting the job done. If everyone contributed their fair share things would be better all around and everyone would have time for some of the "fun" activities only currently enjoyed by those who work during the day.