Rackspace - Great, fun place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

"Great, fun place to work"

Pros

It's a great place to work. Different culture compared to other companies.

Cons

A growing company so there's always a lot of change.

Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace

"Great place to be, but not a cake walk"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rackspace is a great place to be. Its a growing company that really believes in their CORE values. I've never learned so much, from so many brilliant people, in such little time. There are great people everywhere.

My management team has also looked out for my best interest, and they have been very vocal in fighting for change when times are tough. There is great flexibility so long as you are performing. The work is challenging and very interesting.

I leave every day feeling like I helped customers, and cannot wait to get back in the morning. The company is dedicated to delivering positive outcomes for customers. There are great spiffs and benefits on the sales side. They are growing quickly, and if you want something, are vocal about it, you can get it. Politics are definitely present, but so long as you do what is best for the customers, the Rackers around you, and the company, its not a problem.

If you are starting out and hungry, there is not a better place to be.

The new leadership team is phenomenal, they are folks who fit our culture, but also understand how to run a billion dollar company.

I've never been happier, and I am convinced I will never have better managers than I have now in my entire career.

Cons

You have to really manage your brand effectively to continue to move up the ranks and get better pay and position, ON TOP of performing at a high level. I see a lot of reviews calling this "the good ol' boy mentality", those are the folks who have managed their own brand poorly. If you are the type that fights for what you want, and are not afraid to be aggressive, this is a great place.

Be warned hitting quota is no joke here. You have to be top of your game and willing to sacrifice work/life to succeed during periods of time. Hitting your number will NEVER be easy here, but the rewards are great when you do.

There is a plethora of middle management, you have to carefully select who you want to work for because if you get a bad manager, you are SOL.

Be warned, the internal systems and processes ARE TERRIBLE. This inhibits a lot of advancement and efficiency. You have to learn to live with broken systems and processes and be "charming" enough to nudge the people responsible along to approve what you need.

If you really want to move up the ranks, be prepared to commute or move to San Antonio where HQ is.

Advice to Management

For the love of GOD, please make things more simple internally around our systems and processes.

"Great company, but slowly getting to be like the others"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very enthusiastic atmosphere. The employees at Rackspace really do work very hard at trying to keep the culture peppy and enjoyable to be around. Fantastic opportunity for advancement, but slowing down as the company grows.

Cons

Highly inconsistent leadership quality and leadership style. Like many growing companies, Rackspace is adjusting to a clash between the more tenured employees and newer groups of Rackers.

Advice to Management

I would rather see the company slow its headcount growth down, and automate more systems to gain efficiency rather than size.