Rackspace - Great company with amazing Rackers creating an excellent workplace. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Rackspace

"Great company with amazing Rackers creating an excellent workplace."

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A 6-year Racker, I am proud to work for a company that makes coming to work every day enjoyable. Rackspace is full of opportunities for employees to explore their passions and help create a world-class company in which people are proud of their career. I have watched Rackspace grow from a privately-held company with approximately 1000 employees to a publicly-traded enterprise-class company and home for 5000+ Rackers. Our Core values are held in the highest regard by everyone in the company, from contracted hourly workers to C-Level executives. Many times have I witnessed and been a part of Rackers banding together to take care of their fellow Rackers, treating them just like family.

Even considering Rackspace is an IT-based company, non-technical employees can expand their knowledge through on-the-job training, classroom training, college courses, and mentoring with other Rackers. Rackspace is a company where ambition and personal drive is rewarded with continual personal growth and expertise. There are not many companies this size where all employees have the ability to provide feedback or suggestions that could very possibly better the entire company.

Additionally, the unique culture at Rackspace resonates in all Rackers. Part of the interview process deals with culture and team-fit. Front-line Rackers have input on prospective candidates ensuring that the people who are hired are genuine and will continue to define what a Racker is.

Being constantly surrounded by some of the smartest, most innovative, and determined thinkers enables Rackers to continually learn from each other, enable each other, and forgive each other. Rackers are humans, as we all are, and we cannot be afraid to try new things, even if we make mistakes or don't perfect the process the first time. Some of the most valuable things I have learned at Rackspace has come from others personal experiences and together we can improve processes, ourselves, and pass knowledge onto to others for further innovation.

I am also very much a fan of our open-door policy and general accessibility to anyone or any department. When you can walk a few rows over and brainstorm with the President of the entire company, it makes you truly feel that you are a vital part of a living corporation. Having a voice, and knowing that voice is heard, is a satisfying feeling. Knowing you are a Racker with a name, a personality, a contributor and a thinker is so much more rewarding then just being an unknown employee of a gigantic company.

Cons

Rackers know that with perks and a free-spirited culture comes with disadvantages as well. Compared to other corporations in the industry, the pay-scale can be on the lower side than with another employer. Rackspace has recognized this, however, and is working towards salary market adjustments and is investing in employee and talent retention.

Advice to Management

Continue to always be transparent to Racker, always. As we have grown, messages and direction can be lost in translation. We are featured much more in the media and market journalism. Before a Racker reads something online in a blog or media outlet, ensure that things have been communicated internally, and even over-communicated if need be, to avoid speculation, rumors, fears and doubt. Although tedious at times, making sure important messages are communicated through all internal methods can help inform Rackers. Use live-forums, smaller sessions, email communication, printed communication, etc., to best spread the word to Rackers.

Other Employee Reviews for Rackspace

"It's a great company with great promise and passion."

Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unparalleled passion and commitment. I've never worked for a company more committed to the people. nThe work-life balance is great and most roles/managers take a "as long as you get your work done" mentality that is very empowering.

Cons

Constant re-organizations and prioritization changes are exhausting. We talk about preventing/eliminating silos in the org but they always seem to pop up. We need to incentivize groups to communicate/coordinate better and not just "hope it will happen naturally".

Advice to Management

Don't change directions so often. The big picture path has been relatively steady but be more conscious of the effects of re-prioritization.

"Going, going.....gon"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some very sincere, hard-working, smart people there. CEO & President are 'good people'.

Cons

Focus changes quarterly.
    No vision > strategy? > competing tactics > confused employees > frustrated/fleeing customers > fading stock.
    Core values preached but no longer practiced.
    Broken continuity as people transfer every 6 months.

Advice to Management

Senior managers hiring their unqualified buddies and then allowing them to get away with nearly anything has to stop.
    Entitlement and threatening has to end. Respect needs to be constantly earned.