Radio Flyer - I'm in this for the long haul | Glassdoor

"I'm in this for the long haul"

Current Employee - Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Radio Flyer full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a millennial, I expected that my career would consist of hopping from company to company; it's rare to see anyone stick around for more than 5 years, especially with the shift to a freelance and gig-based economy. When I saw the average tenure of Radio Flyer employees clocking in at 7, 10, 12, even 15+ years, I thought to myself, "This seems like something really special." You see the word "top talent" thrown around a lot to describe Flyers (that's what the employees are called!), and it's absolutely true: everyone – and I mean everyone – who works here is incredibly hard-working and talented, and we share core values like passion, dedication, kindness, and perseverance. The work you do matters from day 1: there's no such thing as "busy work" here. The transparency at Radio Flyer is unlike anything I've ever seen. All full-time employees are regularly briefed on the "state of the business" – new products, profits, obstacles, etc. Coworkers and managers ask for your feedback and genuinely take it to heart. (Feedback culture is real here, and it is surprisingly great.) Everyone sets well-developed goals at the beginning of the year, and it's fun to track them and see your progress and how your work contributes to the big picture. There is a fully formed internal training and career development program called Wagon U, which will take you all the way from being a brand new employee through senior management and more advanced skills. Radio Flyer is dedicated to making sure you get the resources to build and develop your career, from weekly one-on-one manager meetings to an education stipend. The amazing facilities add to the great work environment. There's a reason the company is on so many "coolest offices" lists! Highlights include: sit-to-stand desks (you can adjust the height with the touch of a button), fun murals, tons of natural light, a beautiful cafe (lots of meetings are held here, it's really the center of the office), a well-equipped production lab and prototype shop, and a 3+ acre green space called The Backyard. The best thing in my opinion is that the company has been here, in this exact building, for over a hundred years, and it's cool to see how the space has adapted with the times and with changing business needs. The heritage is all around you... even over your head. Being here feels like coming home. Everyone is valued here. You will never feel unimportant, or like your work doesn't matter, or like you're wasting your time. You'll never feel like you aren't being listened to. Management will never lie, abuse their power, or make you feel lesser (and if they do, there are processes and consequences in place). The work may be hard, but it will always pay off, and you always get credit where credit is due! This is a place where you want to stay – I sure plan to.

Cons

It would make a big difference to be able to work from home – even if it was only one day a week. This is probably the most common complaint. Commute is a breeze if you have a car, but if you're coming from the south side, certain suburbs, or are taking public transit, expect to sink some time in here. Vacation package could be better, but the option to buy an extra week helps. Since Radio Flyer is so selective about who they hire, the process can drag out for candidates and take a toll on teams. Some departments seem chronically understaffed relative to the work they do. Depending on what your department's busy season(s) are, there can be a strong work/life imbalance, which isn't completely rectified with the company's offerings/resources and can lead to burnout. Even if you have high expectations for yourself, the expectations here may be higher... which isn't necessarily bad, since it can encourage you to do even better than your best work. Just come in with that expectation and be as open as you can to receiving and giving feedback.

Radio Flyer2019-08-22

"Great Company with Few Flaws"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Radio Flyer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, amazing culture, beautiful office, great salary and benefits.

Cons

I mean it when I say there are very few flaws, but the biggest and most concerning is that aside from warehouse temps, the employee demographic is very, almost overwhelmingly, white. Especially considering the neighborhood where the chicago office is located. The one or two non-white Flyers who are on the non warehouse side are pictured on the website's career page, which is misleading.

Radio Flyer2020-02-02

Radio Flyer Response

February 10, 2020Human Resources Intern

Thank you for your review and feedback! We share your view and value diversity. Radio Flyer appreciates people from different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Currently, 25% of our Flyers identify as diverse, and 55% are female. We strive to attract a diverse workforce by being a great place to work for all.

Continue reading
  2. "After 16 years I still look forward to coming to work and continuing learn and grow professionally & personally."

Current Employee - Executive Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Radio Flyer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Senior Management Team, open work environment, generous benefits, and an overall wonderful place to work!

Cons

No cons from my point of view.

Radio Flyer2019-09-23

Discover more reviews about Radio Flyer.