RadioShack - Sales Associate | Glassdoor

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sale Associate in Mount Holly, NJ
Current Employee - Sale Associate in Mount Holly, NJ

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome Work Environment and great people

Cons

Tough Customers and a crazy schedule

Advice to Management

nothing

Other Employee Reviews for RadioShack

"Go somewhere else...really."

Former Employee - District - Multi Unit Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - District - Multi Unit Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with electronics and new technology.

Cons

Pressure, stress, BS direction, people paging you at all hours, 'emergency' conference calls at 5 am because upper management doesn't trust you to know company direction more than 4 hours before you need to execute. The default mentality is "store people are stupid, so treat them that way' well, it's a self-fulfilling thing...

Advice to Management

Close.

"Great phone deals - terrible corporate mentality."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Person In Charge in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Person In Charge in Austin, TX

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best deals on phones around.
    Accessible location to find basic electronics components.
    Every once in awhile you can find a dang good deal on batteries.

Cons

Very aggressive upper management. Unrealistic expectation vs compensation. They pay you well if you sell phones, but you're also expected to present yourself as an authority on a myriad of other consumer electronics as well as basic electronics components, for nothing more than minimum wage.

By the way, phones are pretty much the only thing you can get a good deal on. Radio Shack marks up the majority of their popular consumer electronics by more than 100%. All of their in-house products like components, audio cables, memory devices, etc. are marked up sometimes more than 500%. They do this because they know that there are consumers who will pay for the convenience of being able to pick it up at a nearby store, as Radio Shack locations are generally more ubiquitous than competitors like Best Buy and Fry's. What bothers me is that there are also consumers who are simply ignorant of the basic nature and function of many of today's electronics and electronic components. I had plenty of customer's who over payed for a cable splitter because they weren't sure how to hook it up correctly. Other's pay too much for their camera's memory card, because they are unsure which will work best with their device. They come to Radio Shack for the knowledge and the friendly assistance of their employees and end up paying much more than they really need to had they been better informed. Not to mention that none of those extra dollars go to the associate who took the time to educate their customer's on everything from cable splitters, to phone batteries, to memory cards, to speaker repair, to router configuration, to home theater integration, to DVR function, to radio scanner operation - we still get minimum wage for all of that. The paycheck is only worth-while if we ALSO talked them into a mobile phone and a 2 year contract.

My main issue comes with the fact that management and upper management encourages shady business tactics on penalty of getting fired if sales goals aren't met. However, if they find themselves in a position of risk due to associates following their specific instructions, they are quick to throw their grunts under the bus to cover their own hides. I personally was encouraged to falsify customer information to increase my service plan attach rates, but once someone at corporate realized what was going on and linked it back to me, the same superiors who encouraged me to do so had me fired.

I also remember my manager under constant pressure of losing his job, and specifically remember instances where I would walk in on conference calls where someone on the other end of the line was berating my manager, or the manager of another store in the district. It also seemed that through my own limited observation that the higher someone was in the company, the more likely they were to be rude and inconsiderate.

If you don't feel like reading a novel the bottom line is this - Radio Shack seems to be a company that cares greatly for it's profit margin and stock portfolio, yet cares little for it's product, it's customers, and least of all it's employees.

Advice to Management

Radio Shack needs to remember that good business is about people. If you take care of your people the numbers will take care of themselves.