RadioShack - Focus on employees | Glassdoor

"Focus on employees"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee Discount
Employee phone plans
Working with Reps from other companies

Cons

Low pay across the board
Low compensation for performance
Irregular work hours
High turn over

Advice to Management

There is a major concern in almost every store i've been in or around as to why the employees don't seem happy. Some of the time it's because their manager works 8-5 everyday and makes the rest of the associates close every day. Sometimes it's because when they sell a three line family plan of new phones they make $48 when they used to make $100. But all of that put together doesn't matter next to the fact that every DM is being yelled at by a higher up, every manager is being yelled at by a DM, and it all comes down to the associates. There needs to be a sense of appreciation from management.

Other Employee Reviews for RadioShack

1. "Very friendly for full and part-timers."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The managers and staff that I worked with were all very friendly, and there was a 10% discount in place for employees who wanted to buy merchandise. The stores within the area all worked pretty closely together, so that if a customer needed a part that we didn't have in stock, one of us could drive over and pick up the part. Besides our hourly pay, we also worked on commission, and if a customer mentioned the name of a previous sales associate, that associate would get the commission. "Stealing" commissions was frowned upon. Going into this company with little to no experience is not a problem, because they teach you all you need to know about the product, although experience is a plus. They have a 401k program, stock options, and health insurance available, although I never took advantage of these (I wish I had!).

Cons

Because it's a "starter" company (that is, one where it's fairly easy to get your first job), there's sometimes a high employee turnaround. Add to that the temporary help around the holiday seasons, it's sometimes difficult to form a repoire with your coworkers. I occasionally experienced some sexism from the customers, who didn't think a woman would know anything about electronics.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for upper management. They have a lot on their plate, obviously.

2. "Awful place to start !!!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

co-workers you meet
    Electronics Discount on mostly everything....a little is better than nothing.

Cons

low pay & commission
    no chance to advance yourself as it will literally take over your life (70 hrs weekly to get store in shape)
    Salary as a sales Associate is always the same
    You treated as if your expendable. No appreciation whatsoever its always sell this & sell that to meet your quota.

Advice to Management

Increase pay & put less pressure to sell on associates or go bankrupt. Being positive encourages & motivates unlike these fear tactics from upper management. i.e. If you don't sell 3 service plans you get written up.