RadioShack - Great Job for College student | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for RadioShack

"Great Job for College student"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Novi, MI
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Novi, MI

I have been working at RadioShack part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Staff and management, Great Pay Minimum wage+ Commission, Very flexible with hours and relocating, Great discounts and benefits, Lots of room to move up within the company.

Cons

Customers aren't always friendly, Alot of different goals and metrics you have to meet every month, Alot of things to keep track of and offer to every customer, ex: Batteries, Cell phones, Service plans ect.

Advice to Management

Don't put so much emphasis on offering things to every customer. Not all customers are right for the things being offered to them, and a lot of them are put off by having so many things thrown at them.

Other Employee Reviews for RadioShack

"The company is going under. Who goes to radioshack when they wanna buy something??"

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at RadioShack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I honestly can say the time that I worked there I found nothing that would qualify as a "Pro" Maybe we did have cheap mobile phones??

Cons

Long hours, min wage (unless you can sell thousands and thousands of dollars worth) They want you to sell wireless phones, batteries, and there completely dumb service plans to every customer that comes in the door. I'll be the first to tell you the problem starts with the customers, they do not come through the door. If a customer is coming into buy a mobile device and they don't buy accessories. The sales rep gets counceled on why he/she did not sell accessories with the phone. If that happens alot...FIRED. Sames goes with service plans on devices. We also had to hound the customers in the store and try to push everything on them to buy. Worst job I ever had. Oh and I was a manager trainee. I resigned after 2 months because I was tired of my regional director wanting me to yell at my employees because the store had no traffic.

Advice to Management

Give it up already....walmart sells the same things you do. But unlike RS, walmart is MUCH cheaper

2. "Focus on employees"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee Discount
    Employee phone plans
    Working with Reps from other companies

Cons

Low pay across the board
    Low compensation for performance
    Irregular work hours
    High turn over

Advice to Management

There is a major concern in almost every store i've been in or around as to why the employees don't seem happy. Some of the time it's because their manager works 8-5 everyday and makes the rest of the associates close every day. Sometimes it's because when they sell a three line family plan of new phones they make $48 when they used to make $100. But all of that put together doesn't matter next to the fact that every DM is being yelled at by a higher up, every manager is being yelled at by a DM, and it all comes down to the associates. There needs to be a sense of appreciation from management.