RadioShack - Be jealous! | Glassdoor

"Be jealous!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kilgore, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kilgore, TX

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a relaxed atmosphere, you learn a lot about electronics and many other products. It is not JUST a Radio Shack Franchise, so you learn about the other side of it, Loud N Clear, which is car audio and products like that. They work with college schedules, and you become like a part of a family here.

Cons

Only open until 6 pm, so if you're looking for an evening job, this isn't for you.

Other Employee Reviews for RadioShack

1. "From amazing to fired in 1 day."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Destin, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Destin, FL

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy technology, you'll enjoy the job for a little while until the corporate yahoo's make you hate it.

Cons

6 day work weeks for store managers. Bonus offered, but with impossibly high standards to receive regularly. Constant pressure from upper management. No room for internal growth, 98% of upper management hiring comes from outside the company.

Advice to Management

If you can last a few years, could be a decent resume booster due to the high level of operations you are responsible for, however due to the lack of advancement opportunity and the downright awful way they treat their employees, stay far far away. My Regional Sales Director (highest position you'll ever meet) was hired in from Blockbuster, a company recently in Chapter 11. I know of 3 different store managers with 20+ years of experience, two with degrees who were passed over before the second round of interviews. If you have stock in Radioshack, sell now.

2. "Awful place to work."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in College Station, TX

I worked at RadioShack part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some new friends. My General Manager was an incredibly competent person and a very skilled and helpful manager. His store is among the best in RS according to RS.

Cons

Everything else. Store management is fine, everyone above the store level is incompetent, vindictive, and generally unconcerned with anything other than keeping their lips firmly placed upon the rear end of their n+1. HR works half days in the summer, if that gives you a clue. My DM fired 5 managers for time card violations (salaried managers who didn't have time cards) and then used the resulting gain on the P&L as proof of how good the district was doing. (They since fired him, amazingly). Overall, it's a disaster and failing fast as a company. I even saw that same DM berate one employee for having cancer and another for calling in after his father passed away. Unfortunately, this seems to be the rule for DM's rather than the exception. I think they're on their 2nd CEO since I left.

Advice to Management

Quit promoting uneducated idiots with no management skills to positions of senior management. That's killing the company and destroying morale.