RadioShack - From amazing to fired in 1 day. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for RadioShack

"From amazing to fired in 1 day."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Destin, FL
Current Employee - Store Manager in Destin, FL

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy technology, you'll enjoy the job for a little while until the corporate yahoo's make you hate it.

Cons

6 day work weeks for store managers. Bonus offered, but with impossibly high standards to receive regularly. Constant pressure from upper management. No room for internal growth, 98% of upper management hiring comes from outside the company.

Advice to Management

If you can last a few years, could be a decent resume booster due to the high level of operations you are responsible for, however due to the lack of advancement opportunity and the downright awful way they treat their employees, stay far far away. My Regional Sales Director (highest position you'll ever meet) was hired in from Blockbuster, a company recently in Chapter 11. I know of 3 different store managers with 20+ years of experience, two with degrees who were passed over before the second round of interviews. If you have stock in Radioshack, sell now.

Other Employee Reviews for RadioShack

1. "Awful place to work."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in College Station, TX

I worked at RadioShack part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some new friends. My General Manager was an incredibly competent person and a very skilled and helpful manager. His store is among the best in RS according to RS.

Cons

Everything else. Store management is fine, everyone above the store level is incompetent, vindictive, and generally unconcerned with anything other than keeping their lips firmly placed upon the rear end of their n+1. HR works half days in the summer, if that gives you a clue. My DM fired 5 managers for time card violations (salaried managers who didn't have time cards) and then used the resulting gain on the P&L as proof of how good the district was doing. (They since fired him, amazingly). Overall, it's a disaster and failing fast as a company. I even saw that same DM berate one employee for having cancer and another for calling in after his father passed away. Unfortunately, this seems to be the rule for DM's rather than the exception. I think they're on their 2nd CEO since I left.

Advice to Management

Quit promoting uneducated idiots with no management skills to positions of senior management. That's killing the company and destroying morale.

2. "Everything changes.."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at RadioShack full-time

Pros

Room for advancement, decent pay, high expectations, goes from fast paced to slow depending on the town and local economy, if you're a part time sales associate, it allows you to work part time and go to school, good commision (used to be way better) and decent incintives.

Cons

I have now been a Radioshack Manager for a total of 8 months, going on 9. I started out as a part time sales associate and I loved it, so I quit my previous management job and started as a full time SA. After about a month, I was promoted to ASM then put into my own store two hours from my home town as a Store Manager. As a young adult, I felt proud to be given this position so quickly. But the store they put me into was a total mess. The employees were trained as clerks, they did not know what they were doing or how to treat customers or use half the systems. I work an upwards of 60-75 hours a week, most of the time open to close, sometimes even by myself even though I have a full staff now. My store is in excellent condition, but I have to serve as a buffer between my horrible district manager and my employees. He rarely says "Good Job", its always "Do better" which is the worst kind of management technique that I've ever seen. He doesn't care that half the managers work way too much overtime, and neither does the company. All they care about is metrics and phone sales. My store TOPS the district every month with total sales but does that matter? No. It's never good enough for Radioshack. Having high expectations for your store managers and employees is understandable, but you have to take into consideration that if you treat your employees like total garbage, then that's get reflected in our work ethic.

Advice to Management

Do not micromanage so much. If you could get off our backs for a moment and let us do our jobs, then we would be able to help "control the metrics". No matter what you big corporate wigs think, you can't FORCE customers to buy a product. You can't FORCE them to buy attach. and You can't FORCE them to buy RSSP. Lower you expectations to a reasonable requirement so that us little folks can achive them. How can you expect a store in a small town with maybe 20 tickets a day to have the same requirements as a store with 75? But I do want to thank you for encouraging me to go to college. Because I know that retail management isn't the job for me.