RadioShack - The disgrace of Radio Shack | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for RadioShack

"The disgrace of Radio Shack"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the 80's, a manager was the best paid manager in the mall, many making over 100 grand, margins were in the upper 50's, and in a article in US and World Report, Radio Shack, had more paper millionairs than anyone. Bill Gates approached Radio Shack before going to IBM.

Cons

Last year 2010 was that of nightmares, yelling screaming at meetings, in thirty years never had recieved a letter of reprimend until 2010 for the smallest reasons even though I was the highest rated Manager in the district and just had won a national sales contest. I compained what was going on and the next day the regional and district manager came to my store, and as one employee discribed acted like terrorist, until I quite. They asked if I wanted to become a District two weeks previous.

Advice to Management

People are your number one asset trat them better. Einstien said repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting a diffrent result is the definition of insanity, you keep pushing wireless more and more as margins go down and down is insane. Black Fridays ad was mostly wireless, who has time to activate phones on black Friday.

Other Employee Reviews for RadioShack

"Exec. level is out of touch"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company car. Good pay. Good opportunity for bonuses.

Cons

Awful executive leadership. Stress put on store managers and expectations for hours worked for store employees is too much. Ethics within the company are non-existent at every level. Poor pay for store level employees.

Advice to Management

Better pay for store management to allow district managers to hire good talent.

2. "Stay FAR FAR away"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice co workers, Good wireless discounts. they are very flexible with the schedules. that is about it.

Cons

awful pay. inept management. i repeat awful pay. they also give you rules to follow and when customers complain they throw you under the bus. way too focused on contract wireless when the entire world is moving away from it.

Advice to Management

increase base pay. only hire managers and district managers that have worked in a radio shack store for a year at least.