RadioShack - Depending on your manager, this can be a very fun, or a very tedious job. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for RadioShack

"Depending on your manager, this can be a very fun, or a very tedious job."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Peabody, MA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Peabody, MA

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work structure, stay up to date on tech, get to play with RC cars around Christmas.

Cons

Plano-grams and putting stock away, especially the little piece parts was a drag.

Other Employee Reviews for RadioShack

"Most Impatient and Disorganized Company Ever"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a store manager, I was able to create my own atmosphere in my store. Having not worked in corporate retail before, I was able to gain much insight into the actual costs of doing business.

Cons

I was working 6+ days a week, 50+ hours, and my effective hourly was often somewhere around $11/hr. While there was a corporate structure, we would often see management skipping levels, to where as a store manager I was getting micromanaged by the Area Director.

Advice to Management

Unlike many people, I don't think that the sales goals were all that unreasonable. I do feel that your demand/compensation ratio is terrible. Don't base DM's bonus structure on their SMs salaries, and they might offer more money for better quality managers. Also, develop some sort of sales training. Not a "company buy-in" training, not a "new product" training, a SALES training. Train your SALESPEOPLE in how to SELL. And quit turning over your mid-level managers (DM, RM, AD, etc.) Let a team develop. Watching something grow is a slow process. If you put in a new DM every time you have a bad season, you're going to continue to have inexperienced management teams. If you keep beating them up over numbers on a DAILY BASIS, they're going to burn out faster than you can train them.

"Run far far away from this job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at RadioShack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice concession lines available for AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon. Unfortunately that is about the ONLY perk that I can give a positive mark on. Its better than being unemployed but barely. . .

Cons

The pay rate is BEYOND unlivable. Minimum wage plus commission, but the commission targets are next to IMPOSSIBLE to hit especially if you're in a slow traffic store.

Depending on the store, any and all management seem to only lie to keep employees around. Within the last year my store was a revolving door for associates, myself included.

I was hired on "full time," but later saw that I was dropped to 30 hours. Combined with the commute, it was costing nearly more in gas to get there vs what I made on what little the paycheck was.

Excessive amounts of conference calls, most of which took away from "peak sales" times.

Constantly having to find things in Target with the target associates usually off or busy with other guests.

There's a lot in the press about Radioshack losing a lot of money with the Target Mobile division. And its looking very possible that 1400 employees will get laid off, very similar to what happened last year when their SCK's division was shut down. I was a "former" employee with SCK and was "demoted" to an associate from a manager due to a lack of positions which basically left me "jobless" and unable to make a living...

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees better. Significantly better if you hope to have any chance of avoiding being bought out by a competitor. Don't threaten SMs and ASCs with firings for not meeting metrics. Don't take away SPIFFS for selling AppleCare and EPP.

Better yet, go on Uncover Boss and see how your associates truly feel about working for the company. You'd be surprised at how many unhappy employees are around the company. Treating your employees like they're a "valued asset" instead of "expendable" pieces of trash goes a VERY long way to keeping morale and will go a long way to bringing in better quality employees.