RadioShack - Sales Associate...Blah! | Glassdoor

"Sales Associate...Blah!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Evanston, IL
Former Employee - Sales Associate - Part Time in Evanston, IL

I worked at RadioShack part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sales experience, provided that most associates have no sales experience. A marginal discount on Cell phone providers via employee line (which is a pain to coordinate but is dependent on your representative).

Cons

Low and ever changing pay structures can cause any employee to ask themselves: "Why am I doing this?".

Advice to Management

Stop calling sooo many meetings at HQ. Try to find a pay structure that is fair. Try to find a solid direction for this company and stick to it.

Other Employee Reviews for RadioShack

"Horrific"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with, as well as the manager, but that's due to the fact that I had worked with them previously at other locations.

Cons

Where to begin ....

DM was horrendous. Company holds two conference calls a week (micromanage much?), and the DM used these days as perfect opportunities to let the "team" know how awful they were doing, who wasn't hitting their "numbers and goals," who wasn't "compliant," and every manager was informed of which employees hadn't signed off on their time cards, and who hadn't clocked out for their lunches. We would get calls daily from the DM asking who was working, why we hadn't sold sale items, and asked routinely if we "wanted to win" or "find another job."

We as employees were required to clock out for a 30 minute lunch regardless of whether we took it or we were too busy to sit down and have a lunch, so we essentially worked for nothing 30 minutes a day. Commission structures changed when the company started losing money, so the obvious answer was to take money from the employees.

Training was a joke. New hires had to sit in front of a computer for weeks to learn absolutely nothing about the things we sold.

Managers were treated like children. Denied days off no matter what the reason (including funerals), required to work 50 hours a week with no overtime, had to travel hours to other stores for transitional reasons.

No opportunity whatsoever to advance. Managers and assistant managers were hired from the outside, taking jobs from employees who had been with the company for years. No raises.

If you're looking for a job, you should look elsewhere. You would be better off unemployed.

Advice to Management

Treat employees and managers like adults, stop the micromanaging, encourage your people to do better and they WILL do better. Frightening them with termination, snubbing them with sarcasm, and ignoring their complaints are the reasons you always have a "The Shack Is Now Hiring!" sign on the door.

2. "People who want to make a difference"

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people I have encountered at HQ truly care about RS succeeding. They also are helpful across different functions. Not as silo'd as other companies I have worked for. Integrity is a strong value here.

Cons

HQ workers are too timid. Scared to break out of the mold and go against normalcy.

Advice to Management

Need a consistent voice from leadership regarding key initiatives.