RadioShack - Bad corporate, bad pay, slow stores | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for RadioShack

"Bad corporate, bad pay, slow stores"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Lewisville, TX
Current Employee - Store Manager in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Theres really not a lot I can say positive about this company. If you happen to be a store manager you do get the flexibility to make your own schedule.

Cons

Pay for regular hourly employees is minimum wage. There are no raises. The company believes that you make your own raises by selling more cell phones and getting more spiffs. Recently corporate changed policies in an effort to make the job better for employees. In the short amount of time since that, they have altered or canceled almost all of these changes. Overall, it seems like they just don't care enough for their employees and it shows in the turnover that the stores experience.

Other Employee Reviews for RadioShack

1. "Radio Shack - Target Mobile"

Current Employee - Kiosk Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Kiosk Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Been a manager for almost 2 years and I love running my Target Mobile Kiosk. I manage 2 associates set schedules and responsible for the whole operation. New commission rates are easy to understand and to obtain.

Cons

Managers are required to work a min of 6 hrs every sat and sun but with personal time, vacation time and a flexible district manager this is not a big issue.

Advice to Management

Became manager from an associate in less than 6 months. Started as a part time assoc. then full time then manager

"Horrific"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with, as well as the manager, but that's due to the fact that I had worked with them previously at other locations.

Cons

Where to begin ....

DM was horrendous. Company holds two conference calls a week (micromanage much?), and the DM used these days as perfect opportunities to let the "team" know how awful they were doing, who wasn't hitting their "numbers and goals," who wasn't "compliant," and every manager was informed of which employees hadn't signed off on their time cards, and who hadn't clocked out for their lunches. We would get calls daily from the DM asking who was working, why we hadn't sold sale items, and asked routinely if we "wanted to win" or "find another job."

We as employees were required to clock out for a 30 minute lunch regardless of whether we took it or we were too busy to sit down and have a lunch, so we essentially worked for nothing 30 minutes a day. Commission structures changed when the company started losing money, so the obvious answer was to take money from the employees.

Training was a joke. New hires had to sit in front of a computer for weeks to learn absolutely nothing about the things we sold.

Managers were treated like children. Denied days off no matter what the reason (including funerals), required to work 50 hours a week with no overtime, had to travel hours to other stores for transitional reasons.

No opportunity whatsoever to advance. Managers and assistant managers were hired from the outside, taking jobs from employees who had been with the company for years. No raises.

If you're looking for a job, you should look elsewhere. You would be better off unemployed.

Advice to Management

Treat employees and managers like adults, stop the micromanaging, encourage your people to do better and they WILL do better. Frightening them with termination, snubbing them with sarcasm, and ignoring their complaints are the reasons you always have a "The Shack Is Now Hiring!" sign on the door.