Ralph Lauren - Exciting, and a test of my skills | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ralph Lauren

"Exciting, and a test of my skills"

Former Intern - Production Intern in New York, NY
Former Intern - Production Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Ralph Lauren as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome work environment, nice people, big company benefits with a small company family-like feel

Cons

Very corporate upper level management.

Other Employee Reviews for Ralph Lauren

"Ralph Lauren Sales Professional"

Former Employee - Sales Professional
    Former Employee - Sales Professional

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Discount is great
    -What it does for your reputation if you work in a "boutique store" (the stores that sell black label, fine leather, etc)
    -benefits are excellent despite the fact that it takes a huge chunk from your check
    -There is an hourly pay plus 3% commission

Cons

-favoritism, some people would not call and not show and nothing would be said to them while others were put on notice simply for staying on lunch 5 mins too long
    -pay is low compared to competitors
    -expectations from management are ridiculous
    -work/life balance, people who thrive at RL are people who make retail sales their career instead of a job. If you have children, are in college, or are working towards something better don't waste your life because they'll give you a hard time for it (at least at my location)
    -Managers are good for letting clients do and say what they want because they're spending money. If you don't want to kiss your client's behind for 3% commission then do not work here.
    -I worked in a boutique store and saw first hand that factory store employees are not taken seriously, they don't even get the same discount which despite me not working in a factory store I felt was unfair.
    -Fighting and drama amongst employees. The 3% commission that we earned brought about so much drama and employees would literally steal your clients from you if you went to the back for an item.
    -If someone returns something you sold, then it negatively affects your commission.

Advice to Management

Learn to back your employees up more and learn to say no, even to top clients. Also treat all sales professionals with the same respect and understand that RL is not everyone's life goal.

2. "Great place to learn, best designers of the industry"

Current Employee - Interior Design Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Interior Design Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ralph Lauren is one of the most important Fashion Houses in the world. Working here brands your resume and gives you the opportunity to work with great designers. From John Varvatos to Thoms O'Brien, these are only a couple of names of the great designers that have walked thru the halls of Ralph Lauren. You get access to the best vendors and a world class education on very detailed design

Cons

Unfortuntately since RL went public, the creativity has been very limited, the perks have gone down, salaries are low and therefore all the great designers don't stay long. The company is very top heavy, which is very discouraging for the bottom tier and for the top tier, well....they dont do much.

Advice to Management

Take care of the new talent in the company. Once the people that have been there for 20 years retired, the company will not have a solid base and may suffer.