Ralph Lauren - High expectations. Great GM. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ralph Lauren

"High expectations. Great GM."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Round Rock, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Ralph Lauren part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a good, stable company in a growth cycle. The GM responds quickly to the needs of the store as a whole and shares successes with staff. He cares about the sales staff and addresses concerns quickly. There is a lot of traffic through the store which means it generally makes it's goals.

The scheduling system is great. An 8 hour shift automatically includes two 15's and an hour and management is held accountable for getting everyone their breaks. Recovery after closing is well planned as are floor sets. Associates are never expected to stay beyond time scheduled. Sometimes the option is offered though.

The GM treats everyone as a highly valued member of the team.

Cons

This is a very physical job. Associates are expected to dress well and be prepared to mix great customer service with some manual labor. Expect to spend 5-10 hours on your feet and moving. Wear good shoes and comfortable RL brand clothing.

Retail can be very cliquish, which can make some days unpleasant. But most of the associates are caring, honest people.

Moving up includes being willing to relocate.

Advice to Management

Break up the cliques. Post internal policy changes on the bulletin board so you don't have to remember to tell everyone. Post more realistic examples of dress code options.

Make sure all the managers value associates the way the GM does.

Get Big & Tall back in the store. We get asked for it almost daily. Bring in shoes and handbags. We get asked for those almost daily as well. Petite women's would be amazing too.

Other Employee Reviews for Ralph Lauren

1. "Lots of problems"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Howell, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Howell, MI

I worked at Ralph Lauren part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Some nice people
    -Good product
    -Nice store

Cons

-The management was constantly pushing sales. They wanted more and more and more out of the employees so that they could meet their personal goals. It was frustrating, being constantly yelled at because, "We need to sell MORE MORE MORE!"

-So much pressure is put on the team members
    -Pay is low for what you are expected to do
    -The clothing you are expected to wear is not realistic for what they are asking you to do
    -I was lied to about the length of my employment
    -A lot of the customers were very rude. I was called horrible names, had items thrown at me, and had customers abuse me
    -Management seemed constantly stressed and frustrated

Advice to Management

They need to focus on praising the employees. At the end of the day, we were expected to ask for feedback, and the management would take the opportunity to discourage employees. How does that make them want to sell? Focus on having an upbeat atmosphere.

2. "Once in a Life-time Job"

Former Employee - Assistant to Ralph Lauren in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant to Ralph Lauren in New York, NY

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Marvelous Boss! Working for Ralph was one of the highlights of my unique career. I learned so much from him. I gained a lot of knowledge in how you successfully run a company and how you treat your employees. Well-Diversified, Fantastic perks, Unique individuals, Beautiful space!

Cons

No mentor, few job opportunities, no open door policy.
    The salary wasn't realistic for New York. Being the Assistant to Ralph Lauren, it was difficult to stay with-in the company and gain respect for my "own" accomplishments. I found that people were not so receptive but Ralph was amazing and stayed in contact, even after I left the New York office.

Advice to Management

Implement a Mentoring Program and offer better salaries.