Ralph Lauren - Not the worst place I've worked at as a Tech Designer | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ralph Lauren

"Not the worst place I've worked at as a Tech Designer"

Current Employee - Associate Technical Designer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Associate Technical Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PRL is a large and very stable international company. The Golden Goose, everything they make sells great and of good quality, the product is beautiful. Good benefits, environment is PC, great discounts, if you're lucky you can learn a lot, I did. I was fortunate to be with a great manager and close team. I learned a lot, yet not everyone has same experience. People think I'm awesome because I work there, it's a great name. Dept is fairly organized. Name looks great on resume. 2 weeks vac plus 4 free summer Fridays.
If you are willing to play the game, you might get promoted in a few year's time. Otherwise, prepare to be miserable fast.
If you get to meet Mr Lauren, you'll feel better about the Co, he is lovely yet his $6 billion worth is not going to be shared with you or me (sad). Pink Pony and all these fun events help morale a bit, (volunteering, etc.)

Cons

Since it is a very large company, you can get lost in the shuffle if your manager isn't good. Many teams are short staffed, it takes a long time to hire new staff. High rates of quitting, existing staff is obliged to work extra to make crazy deadlines with huge workloads. Colleagues have begged for help and are simply given a shrug and told to try harder (sad). Managers are out on time to catch their trains to their McMansion homes in LI or CT or NJ, meanwhile all the minions work late and from home (another sad reality).
Meetings are long and require multiple changes to styles. Cliquish, everyone dresses the same. You need to become the pet of a higher up to move up in the company.Merit alone is not sufficient.

Pay isn't great, titles are arbitrary, much focus given to Associate, Tech, Manager, etc. Reviews are ridiculous. No overtime paid for salaried workers. Many staff members complain about working late hours yet they mismanage their time, it gets annoying for efficient workers, almost looked down upon for leaving on time 9-6 and getting work done well. I work late hours when necessary but not a habit, I have a life. No bonus except for higher ups, these higher ups already make good money plus they have stocks and receive bonus if staff is kept to a minimum, and they work short hours (lucky them I'm not hating). Many complainers, if they worked there for a while, meanwhile I think it's not the worst place ever. Vacations are granted to favorites when they want it, others are denied their requests. No Holiday party at all except a luncheon where gag gifts are raffled (yawn...).though it varies by division.

Advice to Management

It's obvious the underlings are not appreciated since you work them til exhaustion. If you don't care professionally, please try to care for moral reasons. Many people work extra hard and get not even a smile. It's sad. Take a few Management classes.

Other Employee Reviews for Ralph Lauren

"Children's Wear...stay away extremely negative work environment"

Former Employee - Product Development Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great discount
    - Company name looks good on resume

Cons

I hope someone from RL very upper management does see this review. The Children's Wear department is an extremely negative work environment. People are constantly resigning from this department. Almost every week someone is resigning. The record for shortest time here is 2 weeks. People have quit without a job lined up because they just don't want to be there. People have quit and walked out the same day because they can't even bear to stay for the 2 wk notice. Back stabbing, verbal abuse and intimidations goes on here. Management likes to throw the underlings under the bus for no apparent reasons to make them look good in front of upper management from design office. The office itself is extremely neglected, ceilings cracked with holes in the ceiling allover the conference room and work area, some days the air vents are turned off making it very hard to breathe in the office, dust all over the employee areas, carpet that hasn't been clean in years. Outdated furniture that is near it's expiration date that upper management refuse to replace because they say the company does not have the budget for it. Ridiculous meeting schedules for every little thing. People set up meetings just to set up meetings. Not allowing people to go get lunch or use the bathroom during 9 - 6 all day meetings. Upper management ask their assistants to get lunch for them while all the underlings starve and watch them eat. A director even told someone to put on a diaper when asked to step out a moment to use the bathroom. If you are a few minutes late of step out for a moment during a meeting you are yelled at or look down upon. I'm told people have reported these issues to HR but they're on upper management side and won't do anything. Underlings do work late and on weekends while upper management leaves on time.

Advice to Management

Some morals are needed in this department. An HR person that truly cares about employess need to shadow this office for a month to see all the negativety and power abuse that goes on. Some upper managerment really need to be removed here.

2. "Great Company that is still growing in other parts of the work. Good oppurtunities"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lyndhurst, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lyndhurst, NJ

I have been working at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can move internally and laterally to other departments. Interesting work and projects

Cons

Career Growth is tough although you can always do challenging projects

Advice to Management

Focus on people management not just project management