Ralph Lauren - The Golden Age of PRL | Glassdoor

"The Golden Age of PRL"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great clothing. Great benefits. Excellent management and training.

Cons

Promotion based on looks and wardrobe, ethnically prejudiced.

Other Employee Reviews for Ralph Lauren

"Senior Level Executive at Ralph Lauren"

Former Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I worked at Ralph Lauren full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ralph Lauren is an solid and growing Consumer Goods/Luxury company and during my 8 years working at the corporate level (Senior Director of I.T._M&A_HR_L&D) I experienced growth, advancement and worked with (and in some cases) for some of the smartest and creative people I know. ...and don't even get me started on the Polo Perks! Amazing!

Cons

Like many companies, some Division run better then others, however Ralph Lauren Divisions (i.e., Menswear vs. Womenswear vs. I.T. vs. Finance vs. HR vs. Sourcing, etc.) tend to run is silos...very independent from each other. Call it the product of being 40+ old, having the "we have always done it this way" attitude, change and the conflict that comes with change is RL Corps biggest challenge. Again, you could have a division (i.e., I.T) that runds amazingly well, but then have a division (i.e., HR) that has broken processes, almost non-existent follow up and follow-through and at the end of the day you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Advice to Management

Fix your HR division, put more time and thought into a PMO (Project Management Office).

2. "Great first job, good pay"

Former Employee - Women's Sales Associate in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Women's Sales Associate in Allen, TX

I worked at Ralph Lauren part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Raises (even if it is just a little one). After about my fist six months I worked my way from $8.00/hr to $8.24/hr. Then I left for college and came back for the summer and was bumped up to $8.75/hr. I was informed, however, that since I had left that new employees were starting off with $9.00/hr. Oh well, I was happy to get a raise!
    -Some of the most compassionate managers. There have been a number of managers I have absolutely loved working here. Some I still keep in touch with. Those are the managers that really listen and care about what you have to say and try to help you the best they can.
    -Availability is honored. During high school, they allowed me to have Fridays off and didn't ever schedule me outside of times I had made available. If there were any floor sets they wanted me to work (overnight shifts), they would ask first and not put me on the schedule for it unless I said. As long as you ask off 2 weeks in advance, you could usually get days off you wanted. There's also a good amount of employees, so there's options for getting shifts covered.
    -Co-workers were like a big family. I loved the people at Ralph Lauren. There are always those at a job you may not be fond of, but the employees are amazing. Many times we would hang out after work, and we would all help each other out if any of us needed anything. Laid back but professional environment!
    -Good break schedule. The breaks are laid out for the managers to check off and depending on the day, your breaks can be pushed to when you want to go. If you work 8+ hours you get two 15 minute breaks and an hour lunch. I have heard of some places where you work a full day and only get maybe a 30 minute break. Polo takes care of it's employees!

Cons

-Sometimes management was a little unprofessional. I'd hear about gossip between managers, but it didn't bother me much. Also, at the Allen Outlet store they had managers assigned certain hours of the day to keep track of sales and watch the floor. This created competition between managers sometimes and could lead to unorganized break scheduling and misunderstandings.
    -My location, the Allen Outlets, was the center of foreign and rude customers. Sometimes you get great customers, but other times you'll get those who tear up your just folded piles right in front of you with no consideration of the work that went into it.
    -Depending on which managers work, you could be constantly nagged to give your name to every customer and make sure you're asking those open ended questions. Sometimes it just seemed like your manager on duty didn't think you knew how to do your job.