Ralphs - Good for young students who need flexibility and don't mind the little pay and undesirable hours | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ralphs

"Good for young students who need flexibility and don't mind the little pay and undesirable hours"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Glendale, CA
Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Glendale, CA

I worked at Ralphs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours: The hours are flexible as long as you give at least one week notice for a day off. You may or may not get it. They make an honest effort to accommodate your schedule.

Friendly staff: The managers and staff are generally friendly people. There's sometimes drama between the girls and they try to get you involved but if you avoid it you should be okay.

Decent customers: Because the Ralphs I worked at was a smaller store in Glendale the customers we had tended to be regulars and thus were relatively nice. You get the usual jerks and eventually learn how to deal with them.

Job security: You have to be a real idiot to get fired after your 2-month probation.

Medical benefits: You are offered medical benefits which I never took advantage of due to my only working there a year.

Cons

Low pay: The pay is minimum wage. You do a lot of work for this money. The pay goes up only slightly when you're on the register. You give up pay for medical benefits and job security. Males also tend to get the undesirable tasks.

Negligent union: I've tried to contact my union twice to ask them a simple question about my contract and they did not respond to either requests. They take the dues from your check and charge a large initial fee to join the union, yet do not see you as a priority.

Undesirable hours: If you're a guy you're going to work closing often. I don't understand why, but girls tend to open in the morning and guys close at night. It sucks if you're young and want to go out.

Seniority vs. merit: If you are truly competent, intelligent, and diligent they will notice. You'll be treated with more respect, given more desirable tasks, accommodated with your hours better, and if they don't want you to leave they'll pretty much do what they can to keep you. But when it comes down to it, the senior will get the promotion despite performance unless there is a very obvious problem.

Advice to Management

My only advice is to the night managers. If you can't finish your work on time don't force your employees to stay late. I was forced (and threatened with write-ups, bad reviews to senior managers, and even cut hours) to stay hours later than I was scheduled simply because a manager was incompetent and couldn't finish his work in the evening. Also, Store Directors and Assistant directors need to schedule better. Proper allocation of labor is a huge problem at Ralphs.

Other Employee Reviews for Ralphs

"Worst place to work at."

Current Employee - General Merchandise Clerk in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - General Merchandise Clerk in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Ralphs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you request for days off, you will most likely get them off.

Cons

Union contract after 2003 is pathetic. They sold out their members. The pay, benefits, just everything is terrible. If you work as a GM or Food Clerk, you will be working a lot more for what you get paid. The company will attempt to make you work 6 days a week, for four hours each day. There is nothing great about the company, except if you're a store director and above. It's almost impossible to get 40 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Increase wages. Make the people at the front end work. All they do is talk all day. Some of those cashiers are making $16 an hour, while people that work in overnight or bookkeeper positions only make $8.

2. "Full-time pharmacist"

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ralphs full-time

Pros

Employer provides complete benefits, 401k, competitive salary, flexible scheduling, 12 hour shifts available

Cons

Corporate office not very supportive of employees, does not match 401k contributions for pharmacists

Advice to Management

Consider adding pharmacy clerks to more of your stores