Raytheon - Best employer in Tucson, but then again, it's Tucson. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"Best employer in Tucson, but then again, it's Tucson."

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Program Manager II in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Great benefits and base pay for the area. Very flexible with work/life balance issues. Generous PTO policy. Generous policy regarding the use of company IT assets for personal needs.

Cons

Too much beauracracy. Tucson sucks. More beauracracy than its DOD customers. Not respected by its suppliers as well as other large defense contractors. Too much emphasis placed on diversity as a metric instead of simply hiring/paying/promoting for performance.

Advice to Management

Focus on building and communicating career planning/succession to younger employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

1. "Raytheon offers broad opportunities for slow and steady career growth."

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer I in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer I in El Segundo, CA

Pros

The company stresses flexibility in hours and time off in support of work life balance. Information sessions and non work activities are abundant should you make the time for them. The people are professional and pleasant thus promoting a culture of communication.

Cons

As of this writing, the work demands places more pressure to hit milestones at the expense of personal time. Decreases in training and non-work activities are effecting morale.

Advice to Management

Although the org chart is flat, I do not feel that we as a collective are engaged enough with Senior Management.

"The place to work if you like to get paid to be a warm body."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Falls Church, VA

Pros

If you like a low workload, this is the place for you.
    The people seem very nice.
    This is a great place to get started working and learn basic coding skills.
    Popcorn on wednesdays.

Cons

There is no interesting work, especially if you are new to the division. All work here is maintenance work, no new development.
    I have not done any design work or coding really at all in the 6 months I have been here. Thus far I have fixed bugs and written documentation. When I've tried to change this situation, I have been told by my management that I have to stay doing nothing (sorry "writing" documentation) because now they have money and need to spend the money. I am not a special case here, this happens to most ALL new employees coming in.
    Software engineering is 15-20 years behind the commercial industry. I'm talking basic techniques and tools here.

Advice to Management

Start hiring technical writers and systems engineers to do your documentation.
    Plan your staffing! You have too many people sitting around doing nothing!
    Stop hiring so many new employees straight out of college and assimilate what you have.
    You don't have enough business to support hiring all these people continuously. You will decrease how much you spend if you don't have so many people sitting around waiting for assignment. This means you won't go over budget so much and your customers will be happier with you.