Raytheon - Senior Software Engineer II | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"Senior Software Engineer II"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Fort Wayne, IN
Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging, New Technoligies, 401K, Feeling of accomplisment. I really enjoy working here.

Cons

Hard to get promoted, raises are around 2-3%. Lots of policies/procedures sometimes makes getting things done difficult. Job security depends on who is in office. Multiple layoffs. Heavily favors / promotes GLBTA over other minority groups.

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

"Looking for a mundane job with no advancement, but a decent salary to do very little? Look no further than Forest, MS."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Forest, MS
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Forest, MS

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No thought required, just react and point the first finger and you will go far.
    If you like charts and graphs and meaningless metrics to manipulate, then this is your calling.

Cons

Where to begin. The list is almost endless between the croniism and the purely reactionary work environment. Most upper level positions are recruited externally, often from personal relations, instead of developing from within. Leadership is non-existent, just management by individuals with little to no real world experience or ability. Employee morale is at it's lowest and management is not even aware -- that would require stepping out of one's office and actually getting involved. Or perhaps, since morale is not a metric, they do not care. This should be enough to paint the picture.

Advice to Management

Leave and let El Segundo take over.

2. "Outstanding Company for qualified & dedicated professionals"

Current Employee - Technical Director, Systems Integration in Tewksbury, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Director, Systems Integration in Tewksbury, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Appreciates hard work
    Outstanding benefits
    Diverse opportunities

Cons

Bonuses strongly dependent upon company success. If company has has a good year (met or exceeded all 4 company goals), bonuses are very fairly reflective of your performance; hoever, if company did not meet or exceed their 4 goals, bonuses are not as reflective of your individual performance. Often, this is determined by military funding calendar more tgan company's success and Raytheon works on a typical calendar year, not the government's fiscal year, so it is difficult at times for funding to arrive in time.

Advice to Management

Supervisor often does not work with or near (ie, the same location) as Senior Manager, so they are not qualified to make evaluations. These evaluations should be more heavily waited on the senior people the senior manager reports eg, program manager or program's technicL director, not the person in the engineering chain of command, as the quality and accuracy of this eval is more dependent on the dedication of this person's engr supervisor than on the evaluee. MNy engr supervisors also have responsibility to a program.
    What will most engr supevisors spend more time doing - making a name for themselves in their program, or managing their engineering personnel that are not affiliated with the program they themselves work in?
    I retired from the military and joined Raytheon as a Senior Manager and loved my job. However, the first time I ever met my engineering supervisor was during my first annual evaluation (semi-annual evals were done via phone). Subsequent annual evals were the only other times I saw my SVTAD supervisor face to face. He never knew what I did or how well I did it, and refused to speak to the person I reported my most important findings, statistics, recommendations, etc, as he was one of the best VP's in the company (and new the quality of my work and degree of my dedication better than anyone).