Raytheon - Not a bad place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"Not a bad place to work."

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Aurora, CO
Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work and generally great coworkers. Flexible hours are fantastic.

Cons

Perpetually shifting management. It is also easy to get caught in a bad job. There are too many layers of management.

Advice to Management

The company management style should be flatter.

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

"Senior Software Engineer II"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging, New Technoligies, 401K, Feeling of accomplisment. I really enjoy working here.

Cons

Hard to get promoted, raises are around 2-3%. Lots of policies/procedures sometimes makes getting things done difficult. Job security depends on who is in office. Multiple layoffs. Heavily favors / promotes GLBTA over other minority groups.

2. "Outstanding Company for qualified & dedicated professionals"

Current Employee - Technical Director, Systems Integration in Tewksbury, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Director, Systems Integration in Tewksbury, MA

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Appreciates hard work
    Outstanding benefits
    Diverse opportunities

Cons

Bonuses strongly dependent upon company success. If company has has a good year (met or exceeded all 4 company goals), bonuses are very fairly reflective of your performance; hoever, if company did not meet or exceed their 4 goals, bonuses are not as reflective of your individual performance. Often, this is determined by military funding calendar more tgan company's success and Raytheon works on a typical calendar year, not the government's fiscal year, so it is difficult at times for funding to arrive in time.

Advice to Management

Supervisor often does not work with or near (ie, the same location) as Senior Manager, so they are not qualified to make evaluations. These evaluations should be more heavily waited on the senior people the senior manager reports eg, program manager or program's technicL director, not the person in the engineering chain of command, as the quality and accuracy of this eval is more dependent on the dedication of this person's engr supervisor than on the evaluee. MNy engr supervisors also have responsibility to a program.
    What will most engr supevisors spend more time doing - making a name for themselves in their program, or managing their engineering personnel that are not affiliated with the program they themselves work in?
    I retired from the military and joined Raytheon as a Senior Manager and loved my job. However, the first time I ever met my engineering supervisor was during my first annual evaluation (semi-annual evals were done via phone). Subsequent annual evals were the only other times I saw my SVTAD supervisor face to face. He never knew what I did or how well I did it, and refused to speak to the person I reported my most important findings, statistics, recommendations, etc, as he was one of the best VP's in the company (and new the quality of my work and degree of my dedication better than anyone).