Raytheon - Proud to be a Missile Systems Admin | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Raytheon

"Proud to be a Missile Systems Admin"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Fantastic benefits that start on your first day of work. Good work environment, good people. Flex time and very workable between family & worklife balance.

Cons

We're only given PTO to use. No sick pay, no real vacation pay. Whenever we need to take time off, whatever the reason, we have to use PTO or flex our time.

Advice to Management

They really need to learn how to retain the talent they've already got, instead of putting more focus into new hires. You're going to lose employees when you're hiring people in at a higher salary than what someone who's been there for 5 years is making.

Other Employee Reviews for Raytheon

1. "Raytheon is a big pond."

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Sudbury, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Sudbury, MA

Pros

The defense industry seems to be fairing better than others right now (can't outsource defense, right?) Raytheon is a pretty flexible employer and doesn't stress about small things (like what hours you work) though sometimes this becomes their fault. There is a company-wide work schedule of working nine hour days to get every other Friday off that many employees take advantage of, though that extra hour can wear you down during the week. My benefits package seems seems to have some perks that other employers don't have (eg., dental, vision) though they've stopped offering the pension plan to new employees. The company is so big it's often easy to move (both up the ladder and geographically) without having to jump employers and lose your seniority.

Cons

I don't think any of these are specific to Raytheon, but rather some disadvantageous of working in a megaCorp; Bonuses/pay increases are pretty much the same for the slackers and the high performers (ie., a slacker might get 2.8% raises, and a high performer may get a 4.3%.) Corporate propaganda is never-ending; each year the leadership develops a new set of buzzwords to push down the ranks and you have to pretend like you like it. Like most jobs (though even more so in Raytheon as senior leadership can't be everywhere at all times) your promotions are tied directly to your immediate supervisor. This can be a positive if you have a good relationship with your supervisor, but it can leave fewer options if you don't.

In the end, Raytheon is a big pond; big fish will find opportunities to grow and stretch their fins, but small fish find themselves lost in the weeds.

Advice to Management

Please, for the love of god, the buzz words are killing me. I generally find most unscripted talks from management enlightening, but the 'Strategic Dialogue' is our little turn at buzz-word bingo.

Also, I appreciate Dan's off the cuff Q&A sessions at the end of every talk, but he can be a bit curt sometimes. Most of your worker bees aren't up to speed with what contracts the select 'WIN Teams' are pursuing, so forgive us if we screw up sometimes.

2. "In Downtime its Raytheon Time"

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Sudbury, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Sudbury, MA

Pros

Cool defense job. lots of projects. You need security clearance to work here. In this downturn in economy, working in defense related aerospace company is better than sitting at home.

Cons

Too big a company. You can get lots easily

Advice to Management

Do your job